Thursday, April 30, 2015

Thank You, Golden Week and Into May

Thank you so much for all your kind words about my wedding! Every comment means so much to me, and it was heartwarming to read those words. I feel like most of you have taken this journey with me, in some strange way. So, thank you for reading and your wonderful thoughts. I'm so, so happy I could share, and your enthusiasm made it feel so special.

So, Golden Week rolled around again, which is the busiest holiday in Japan. Except for my very first GW five years ago when I lived in Shikoku and finally got out to travel all the way to Tokyo and Osaka, none of them have been as exciting. I particularly remember that one I spent when I lived in Osaka, freshly post-3.11 which was the loneliest time of my life. I was reading back this old post, and now I'm wondering why I was walking around some dark, unknown Osaka streets in the middle of the night by myself. It's something I would never do nowadays because I know better, but I was pretty fearless back then and didn't always think things through. Osaka was such a tough phase overall, but when I look back it was also wonderful- I had so much time to think (about my career, staying or leaving, life) and that's when I really made things happen. That's when I quit teaching, packed my bags and moved to Tokyo to give writing a try.

Now this Golden Week is just going to be a regular work week, the news don't stop for holidays, but I really enjoy it so I'm happy to be there. Did I mention I'm also working in my mother tongue? It's been amazing to immerse myself into the beautiful French language, even though I have lots of literary catching up to do. I also caught a cold earlier this week, one of the worst I've ever had, complete with high fever, sore throat and congested sinuses. I ate okayu (rice porridge) for three days straight, and I actually really liked it. I particularly like umeboshi (pickled plum), so flavourful.

In other news the weather is getting increasingly warmer, and we're planning another Canada visit for late summer or possibly autumn, a shorter one this time but I need some home time and a glimpse of Canadian summer.

Loving my Issey Miyake bag!

Spring ballerinas

Sunday breakfast

Okayu



2 comments: