Thursday, February 5, 2015

Sunday Day Out

Ever since I started working in the midst of the happening districts of Tokyo (aka near Aoyama, Harajuku, Omotesando and Shibuya), I stopped going there for fun as I usually associate it with work, and I can't be bothered to lose myself in those crowds on weekends. On weekends I try to stay around my local area, since I rarely get to enjoy it.

On Sunday I ventured to all the most crowded places in Tokyo, namely Shinjuku and Harajuku, but it turned out to be a lot of fun. I had brunch with friends at Le Pain Quotidien in Hatsudai, and I must say they make the best brunch in Tokyo. I think it's ridiculous that people all lining up all over Omotesando for calorie-laden pancakes, while there's this kind of healthier brunch with vegetables, salad, eggs and cheese (and a jam bar… and croissants… not to healthy but I'd much rather eat that). It never gets crowded and you get your own pot of coffee, so I'm completely sold.

Afterwards I walked to the big Kinokuniya bookstore in Shinjuku, where the 6th floor overflows with English books, and even French books. I wanted to buy everything and especially stock up on French books, but I ended up buying something fashion-related (which I'm too embarrassed to mention).

Finally I went to Harajuku, walk across Takeshita dori (or rather pushed my way through the hordes of teenagers) and did a bit of window shopping. I find Harajuku fashion so uninspiring, it used to be more unique but it's just so commercial now. Not that I would ever buy or wear anything from there, but I like to research. I was a bit surprised to see Top Shop has completely shut down all over Japan, I wonder what happened there.

I ended up in the back streets of Harajuku, where all the good stuff is, in the depths of Jinguumae. I also  went to the A.P.C. store there and realized that's where the strip club scene from Lost in Translation was filmed- the shop was turned into a club. I had read about it, but I had never made the connection.

Another rather long week is coming to an end, I find February to be one of the longest months even though it's the shortest, especially with the cold rain (wanna-be snow…) today. I just want to stay home with my bottle of Perrier (my special treat in Japan) and that embarrassing fashion book!

This brunch!! It's called Farmers' Brunch

Harajuku has a LINE store,
which is the most popular messaging app here

The LINE family

Aforementioned A.P.C./L.I.T club

I ate a big sushi roll for Setsubun on Tuesday

6 comments:

Christine said...

Hang in there! February always feels longer because of the dark/cold winter.

シャヴィエルマックス said...

Vivian... Perhaps you would like to know that the restaurant Tribeks located on the 20th floor of the hotel century southern tower - just in front of kinokuniya - affords a jaw-dropping view of tokyo. Check the site of the hotel ...Max, Brazil.

Grant Heino said...

Now I am dying to know what embarrasing fashion book you bough (and whether I should buy it too...) I've had my eye on this book called 'How to be Parisian Wherever you are' and I'm thinking of buying that even though it looks sort of trashy. I wish there was a Tokyo/Japanese version though :P

Vivian said...

Grant, bingo!!!!

シャヴィエルマックス said...

東京のプチ・パリですてきな街暮らし 単行本 – 2009/4
ドラ トーザン (著), Dora Tauzin (原著)

ISBN-10: 492119260X
ISBN-13: 978-4921192600
発売日: 2009/04

Blogger said...

I've just installed iStripper, and now I enjoy having the hottest virtual strippers on my taskbar.