Sunday, February 1, 2015

January: New Year, New Me

It's been such a hectic January (what's new?), and the New Year brought many changes and adjustment, and lots of exciting new projects, which I can't wait to share soon. January is always a fresh start, but I must admit it started on a bit a sour note, dragging some dissatisfaction about my work and life balance situation, which I still feel is unhealthy. However, instead of dwelling on it, I decided to work towards some solutions, and I'm feeling so good about what is coming this year.

This month also brought many visitors from overseas, which is always comforting in the midst of winter. I met up with an old friend who used to work with me at summer camp nearly 20 years ago (yup, I spent a few summers as a camp counselor), and my dear friend Sophia from Australia. Yesterday we had a long overdue Tokyo catch up with the other member of our lovely trio, and it was fun to reminisce about 'old' Tokyo days (well, 4 years ago!) and seeing how different our lives are now.

We had lots to celebrate, and it came in the form of an exquisite 4-hour lunch at Beige, the Chanel restaurant in Ginza. It was gorgeous, not only the food and wine pairings, but the details, attentive service, cheese trolley (YES) and the interlocking C's logo on the chocolate. I spent the rest of the day recovering on the sofa, snacking on Australian treats as I don't think I can eat a proper meal for another few days. We also got manicures in the morning, so hopefully it looked like we belonged in Ginza…

Tokyo had a bit of snow yesterday, but for Canadian standards it looked more like rain. Thankfully it melted right away, otherwise it would have been such an ordeal with train delays for days. In other news I've started running again, there is an actual running course around a park in my new neighbourhood, and the full loop is about 2k so I can go around a few times for a decent workout. I like running in the winter, as it keeps me warm.

And on a separate note, this morning Japan awoke to heartbreaking news about journalist Kenji Goto, and while I never had the chance to meet him, I really admired his work. My thoughts go to his wife, young children, family and friends.

Shibuya never shuts down

Grey and wet Omotesando

Kitchen selfie

Beige - Alain Ducasse

Bubbles and quilt


1 comment:

オリたん said...

I was just wondering when you would update again yesterday! Happy to hear the new year is bringing you new opportunities.

A Chanel restaurant in Ginza... I had no idea such a thing existed, but it sounds beautiful, you all look glamorous so I'm sure you fit in just fine.