Friday, February 20, 2015

February

And here we are at the end of February, it's been another busy past few weeks filled with sleep deprivation, tight deadlines and crowded trains, but also time spent with close friends, some warm sunny days and a weekend in Kyoto.

Kyoto is a lot colder than Tokyo in the winter, especially in the traditional house I was staying at. I made it to Arashiyama, it was actually my first time going there. I loved the bamboo path!

The plum blossoms have appeared, which means spring is closer and sakura should be here in mere weeks. In Japan, spring is when everything changes: the school year ends in March and back-to-school mode happens in April, as well as the new fiscal year and renewed work contracts.

Things are changing for me as well with a return to freelancing, which I had missed so much in the last two years. Many people ask me about freelancing in Japan, and I think it's a great option but it's also very scary- in terms of visa sponsorship, finances and general stability. Shortly after I moved to Tokyo, I tried freelancing for a bit, but things ended up so messy, with visa drama, teary trips to city hall, anxious immigration bureau visits and more time spent lounging around than actually working.

Freelancing is risky if you're not prepared, so I don't recommend it unless your whole life is in order. Not sure if mine really is, but I've been on top of things (visa, paperwork, address changes, banks, taxes, insurance, doctor visits, immigration, finances) and with some solid contracts I'm ready to dip my toes into this sweet sweet world of freedom (and even more deadlines!). Also, having a workplace to go to a few times per week will hopefully help me achieve a balanced schedule that doesn't involve 4am bedtimes.

In other news, I've been craving sushi almost every single day, and I've been making miso soup on a daily basis and having it for breakfast, with a bit of rice and green tea. I love making a sesame miso soup from Harumi Kurihara, it's so easy and delicious! I highly recommend her book "Harumi's Japanese Cooking" for simple but exquisite Japanese recipes. I've been using white miso (instead of red) since I went to Kyoto, it's not so salty and very delicate. I'm slowly learning how to cook more than just udon, but I still find some Japanese cooking techniques intriguing. I've also been using my oven a lot, mostly for cookies, but I can't wait to make breakfast muffins when I have a minute to breathe this weekend.

I feel a lot happier lately, I'm finally slowly figuring things out.

Wine-toned nails, courtesy of Nail Quick

I fell for this brilliant marketing ploy:
apple tea + butter custard Pocky

Staring at the sun

This place.


2 comments:

amber said...

i love your blog! i wish you would do youtube videos. i love the j-vlogers its a real little community. you should interview sharla in japan, meimei, rachel and jun etc... would make for great reading :) all the best for the year ahead. kowhai.

Vivian said...

Hi Amber,

Thanks for your lovely comment! I never tried YouTube videos, I'm very camera-shy but I admire those who do them! I feel like an old-fashioned blogger, haha.