Tuesday, November 18, 2014

November in Japan

November in Japan is the most gorgeous time of the year. For the first time in several months, the weather is crisp and comfortable, the sun is shining on most days, and it's chilly enough to wear layers, knits and coats but not unbearably cold.

For me, November is also synonymous with pure madness at work with an important project, in addition to (fun!!) freelance assignments and just general changes in my daily life. This week is particularly stressful, but those are the times when I really cherish any bit of alone time I can get, and coffee breaks I can sneak in. I tried some interesting and new-ish cafes those past few days, one in The City Bakery in Hiroo (great coffee and pastries, affordable sandwiches and salad sets), and the other one is World Breakfast Allday in Kita-Aoyama, which changes the menu every months according to an international theme. Last month was Croatia, and this month is USA. There's only one communal table for about 10-12 people, with an open kitchen and a cozy decor that reminds me of my favourite cafe in Marugame.

I also love to stop by Omotesando Koffee whenever I get the chance, but I noticed it has gotten a lot more attention lately. Weekends now have queues, and even weekday afternoons are a full house. In a way I'm happy they're getting recognition as it's such a wonderful place, but I hate that this is no longer my quiet haven. Still, the baristas are so friendly despite this increase of people, and I'll keep going but I miss the days when I could sit alone in the garden.

I'm actually surviving on coffee and persimmons this week, and keeping my eyes on the prize (holidays, Christmas, New Year, sleeping in, fresh tatami floors…). I've also descended into an early-era The Smiths spiral, in parallel with The Bling Ring soundtrack. I haven't had a single sip of wine or bubbly since I got sick a few weeks ago, and I don't miss it at all. Maybe I'm still sick?


,
Fresh tatami <3 td="">

The City Bakery

My 'hood

Good morning indeed

World Breakfast Allday

Staged photo op

6 comments:

marleyzelinkovasmith said...

Odd combination of two excellent music choices :) I love early Smiths for long train trips, and The Bling Ring soundtrack is my favourite driving CD! I'm curious as about what is served at Croatian breakfast? (or Japanese interpretation thereof..?)

spajonas said...

Omotesando Koffee has been getting a lot of press! MadeIn is offering their coffee in their online store and they bill it as "Japan's most famous coffee shop."

https://getmadein.com/japan/omotesando-koffee

vivarilakkuma said...

Agree so much about the weather, it's just perfect right now :D.
Omotesando Koffee is great :), haven't been there in a long time though. I think last time I went I had to wait and I'm impatient.
World Breakfast Allday has been on my list of places I want to go for so long! Sounds awesome!

pigonthego said...

I miss October November in Japan! Although we get the gorgeous fall colors and cool temperatures of Shizuoka where I live in California, I always feel there is something missing. Something about fall in Japan is just extra cozy.

Vanessa See said...

Hi! I hope you'll answer my question and that you don't find it intrusive or rude. I come from Singapore and when I go to western countries, I find that I start to miss chinese food alot.
So I'm wondering is it still the same for you now? Or has the reverse happened, where you miss japanese food instead of the food from your home country.

obat herbal lupus said...

cara mengatasi berbagai macam penyakit secara alami tanpa menyebabkan efek samping
Obat Herbal Kanker Otak Tanpa Operasi Obat Herbal Tetanus Obat Herbal Campak Obat Herbal Lupus Obat Herbal Paru-Paru Basah Obat Herbal Kaki Gajah Bengkak Obat Herbal Asam Lambung Kronis Paling Ampuh