Friday, October 24, 2014

Immigration + Persimmons

October marks my routine visit to immigration, which is one of the most stressful and dreadful things about living abroad. Going to the immigration office in Tokyo is an eventful occurrence- from riding the 'immigration bus' and filling in all the paper work, to hours of waiting and finding out there are more forms to be filled. The immigration office is such a grim place, and I mostly feel bad for people working there daily. It's also a good place to people-watch, makes me realize how many foreigners are actually living and working in Japan- it's a LOT.

The paperwork and bureaucracy are the least appealing aspects of living abroad, but it's part of the adventure and every year I learn a little more, and get my act together. I tend to be a procrastinator in most things in life, but I know not to mess with the visa stuff and get myself to immigration in a timely matter. I'm growing up!

Aside from immigration and filling out visa forms, this week has been insane and it gives the tone to the upcoming weeks, probably until the end of December. I try to find relaxing things to do every day, whether it's a workout or a green tea session. My goal for next week is to get 8 hours of sleep per night, go to the fitness club at least twice, and cook every night. Baby steps!

It's persimmon season, and I've been eating one daily. One time I was in a hurry and I bought those 'expensive' ones rather than the budget kind, and they were so much tastier and juicier. Now I'm hooked, and I've been spending an average of ¥250-¥300 per persimmon. I am debating whether it's unreasonable, but I need my fruit.

Vulcanize in Aoyama makes the best soy latte

A mid-range persimmon

Autumn cape

Tea ceremony at Sou-Sou

Matcha & Peach sweets

2 comments:

Khaleesi said...

I cry every time I go to Immigration. I always walk in with high hopes, my head held high and then something happens and I'm sitting in a corner crying. Never fun.

apocketofwords said...

I always felt like a criminal every time I went to immigration, like they automatically assumed you were there illegally.