Wednesday, September 17, 2014

September Long Weekends

In September there is a holiday known as Silver Week, which covers a few different holidays over the span of a week. It's pretty much only two actual days off from work, but I welcome them with open arms, especially after summer ended- any extra holiday is good.

I was re-reading old entries about my first Silver Week in Japan, and I was oh-so-bored. Somehow the list I posted on my blog sounds quite fun, but I felt so lonely, isolated and trapped in Marugame at that time. Yet it's endearing to look back, it always seems better from a distance. You can read it here. I'm so thankful those days are over, but then again, I wouldn't be where I am today if it hadn't been for that part of my life. I easily get nostalgic!

This time around, my long weekend was filled with looming deadlines, picnics in the park, bubbly, cheese, a walk in Kichijoji and a surprise autumn festival, late summer fireworks and the gorgeous kimono gifted by Sophia's grandma. I also read another Amélie Nothomb, "Ni d'Ève ni d'Adam" (I believe the English title is "Tokyo Fiancee"). Loved the book so much, just like "Stupeur et Tremblements", her most famous novel. I was surprised to see a film trailer for "Tokyo Fiancee", and looking forward to watching it to see how it compares to the book. I can relate to a lot of Nothomb's writing and her experience living and working in Japan, and she has the ability of putting many of my feelings into words, but I also don't agree with many things the character (the author) does. I guess she was very young at the time and even though she had a great understanding of Japanese culture, many of her actions were quite odious.



Picnic essentials: lots of cheese and sparkling wine
The thought of the cost of the cheese makes me want to cry.

Fruit sandwiches, not sure how I feel about them

Festival in Kichijoji, with bus in the backdrop

Carrot cake from Rose Bakery, YUM

Fireworks and yukata

This sky.

4 comments:

Haddock said...

All working people must be on the lookout for more silver weeks.

Khaleesi said...

I tried the blueberry sandwich. I regret that.

Emelie said...

I didn't know about silver week, sounds like you hade a nice time :)

オリたん said...

Ah I should learn French, I can't find "Ni d'Ève ni d'Adam" in English for devices. I'll splurge on the paperback copy I guess.