Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Too Hot to Move

Japan is now experiencing its very worst weather, August being the peak and characterized by ungodly high levels of humidity and relentless heat. Every time I step outside I'm constantly sweating, and it goes on even after the sun sets at 6pm. Carrying a towel to wipe my face is just a regular part of my daily summer routine. I think Japanese summer is really miserable, as the temperatures reach extremes I never knew even existed.

On a positive note, there are some things I love about Japanese summer: the cicadas (many people complain about the noise, but I love them!), the summer foods and lighter meals, and drinking so much water and cold tea. Other than that, I just want to sit right below the air conditioner and not go out until late October. I think my level of tolerance for heat is quite low, unlike for the cold weather. When I was in Canada, my mom told me about how I used to spend a few hours outside every day, in the -30 degrees (Celcius!!) Canadian winters, when I was a newborn baby. Apparently new mothers were encouraged to spend lots of time outside in extreme coldness to get the baby used to the cold (bundled up, of course!). Not sure if they still do that nowadays, but I guess it worked.

I spent all of Sunday around Shimokitazawa, which has been my 'hood for now three years, and I couldn't help but notice how touristy and gentrified it has become. I still like it here, but since they built the new station, tore down the old shotengai and added shiny new conbinis on every streets, it lost its charm and appeal. It doesn't feel local anymore, and it's so crowded. I still recommend visiting it if you're ever in Tokyo, but I find it overhyped. Don't hate, I still have some love for Shimo.

In other news, I have pretty lame taste in movies, and while on the plane back from Canada, I watched (in addition to Weekend at Bernies' and National Lampoon's European Vacation) a French movie called 20 ans d'├ęcart (English title is It Boy), which I loved. It's about a fashion magazine editor who pretends to have a fling with an 18 year-old boy just to get a promotion. It was lighthearted and stylish, in fact I'm in love with all the clothes Virginie Efira wears. And good soundtrack too, with Tom Tom Club, New Young Pony Club and France Gall. In fact I've been listening to so much France Gall those past few days- Ella Elle l'a and R├ęsiste, such classics.

BP on a hot day

Dreaming of autumn clothes

Tokyo is ours

Doraemon exhibit at Roppongi Hills

Can never get enough of that cat robot

No comments: