Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Tanabata, More Rain

Looks like rainy season isn't over yet, and it's been raining so much. I don't mind it, as long as we can postpone the suffocating heat, but it's been so stuffy and humid nonetheless. A strong typhoon is now hitting Okinawa, and I hope everyone is safe there, and hope it doesn't reach Tokyo. I really despise typhoons, I find them so scary, even more so than earthquakes.

Natural disasters aside, I'm slowly getting ready for Canada, although it seems so far away since I have so much work to finish before I get on that plane. I had to borrow a suitcase since I chucked the ones I came to Japan with nearly five years ago, they were falling apart after moving from Shikoku to Osaka to Tokyo. What a journey it has been! How can I catch up with friends back home on four and a half years gone by, where do I even start?

I started the week by watching Lost in Translation, and somehow it never manages to look dated, not even after ten years. I went to my fitness class and feel really good and motivated. I'm eating a lot of tofu lately, I found those black sesame and edamame varieties, and I'm hooked! The edamame tofu even has chunks of the bean inside, it's so tasty. Tofu, ajipon (I know most people prefer soy sauce) and shiso leaves are what I want to eat every day.

It was also tanabata on Monday, the star festival. I'm a bit sad I didn't get to tie my wish around a tree, but it was raining anyways, which means the lovers did not meet across the milky way. The whole city is now colourful, and those summer evening lights are gorgeous. I did not wear a yukata either, but I hope to do so later this summer for fireworks when I get back from my trip.

I want to stock up on a few books for the long plane ride awaiting me- any recommendations? Music recommendations are always welcome, too!

How cute is this Tokyo community bus?!

Friday night was wild, milk and doughnuts

Edamame tofu, black sesame tofu, shiso

Tanabata evening lights

Heart-shaped handle in the train! Keio, I like you a bit more.

The clinic tried hard with my name...

Homemade quinoa salad and Vogue-
perfect night in

8 comments:

philly said...

I'm surprised you didn't end up being Bibian. It's not very 'Japanese' to say something as awkward-sounding as I ian.

But Bibian sounds like the name of a 'cute' animal that you could buy with your favourite donuts and should make you gazillions.

Or maybe 'Bye-bye Bibian' a dark, punked-out foil to counter the ubiquitous Herro Kitty.

Vivian said...

Haha, love this!!!!

Amelia said...

I will recommend some books!

Haruki Murakami, Norwegian Wood
Jim Thompson, The Killer Inside Me (fascinating & scary)
Gillian Flynn, Gone Girl

Just for starters.

I too am contemplating the homecoming - it's such a weird whirl of emotions! I am so excited though :)
AmeliaWrites

sarah said...

A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki was my favourite airplane novel last year.

Kayla Laura said...

"The Devotion of Suspect X" by Higashino Keigo. Anything by this author is AMAZING.
I wish my Japanese was better so I could understand the twists and turns of this novel. Even in English I was always thinking "How did Higashino do that?!".
Blew my mind.

Basia said...

The Elegance of the Hedgehog (French: L'Élégance du hérisson) is a novel by the French novelist and professor of philosophy Muriel Barbery. The book follows events in the life of a concierge, Renée Michel, whose deliberately concealed intelligence is uncovered by an unstable but intellectually precocious girl named Paloma Josse. Paloma is the daughter of an upper-class family living in the upscale Parisian apartment building where Renée works.

Bon Voyage!

philly said...

Great recommendation, Basia. English or French, Vivian has the choice of her preferred language. And there is some reference to Japan in the book as well.

marleyzelinkovasmith said...

Ooh I third the Hedgehog book, it's wonderful. I also recommend Murakami's '1Q84' trilogy, which is now available as one thick volume. It lasted me a whole holiday!