Saturday, July 12, 2014

Going, going, home.

It seems like just yesterday I left Montreal and moved my life to Japan. I left Montreal with a bit of a sour taste and I think that's a big part of the reason I didn't go back for so long, along with financial/job reasons as well. After living in Korea for a year and missing Montreal like crazy, I returned to a place that left me so disappointed, bored and that made me feel like a stranger. The life I had missed and imagined for a full year turned out to be a bit of an illusion, and the reality was harsh and I couldn't wait to get out again.

For the past four years, I grew to appreciate Montreal and the quality of life I had there, something I don't have as much in Japan. I'm now eager to go back, and even though I'm not sure where I stand with my feelings about that place, what I know for sure is that I have a family and longtime friends waiting for me there. It's home.

I remember my last day in Montreal, roaming around my neighbourhood in pajamas, having brunch at La Croissanterie with my mom and some close friends, then a late-night club sandwich in the Mile End, and a short nap before the taxi took me across the city at 3am, to the airport. I somehow knew I wouldn't come back so soon, but now looking back, I feel sad and regretful I haven't visited before now.

A small part of me is nervous to see the place I left so hastily and the memories. I have no idea how I'll feel at all. If I think about it too much I get really anxious and need to watch Friends or something to forget about it. But mostly I feel so amazing about taking this trip, as I think I'll finally be able to relax and feel comfortable at home and somehow just melt back into it. I'm curious to see, will I start missing Japan a lot, or will I be dreading my return? I guess I'll have a few more answers soon.

In other news, I went to the Mario Bros.-themed bar tonight with the girls, and it was great. The place is filled with paraphernalia from the game, including plush toys, themed cocktails, an actual game console and a pretty sweet rooftop patio defying safety laws. I highly recommend visiting it, as it's one of those 'only in Japan' places. They even played the Friends theme song, and that made my life complete.




3 comments:

Tanya Geddes said...

Vivian! I'm so happy you are going home. It's nice to have a chance to see what your feelings are about home. It will clarify a lot of questions.

I can relate to having mixed feelings. Even now I'm back in London, a part of me remains in Japan. I think places and people we connect with, we always carry around with us. Instead of being sad, I choose to be happy at all the opportunities I had and have ^_^. I'm trying to be more 'present' and grateful to where I am now, without forgetting my past.

The Mario bar looks super cute. It's these small things which keep me glued to your blog. I vicariously live my pretend Japanese life through your experiences.

All my best wishes,

Tanya XO

Christine said...

Have a safe trip and I hope you find the answers you are looking for.

Even if you don't...it's always good to see family and friends. Enjoy each day :)

JoellaJ said...

Have an amazing time Vivian! Enjoy seeing your family and friends :-)