Monday, April 21, 2014

In the Mood for Love

A few days ago I finally watched "In the Mood for Love" (2000) another Wong Kar Wai film I had completely skipped due to my infatuation with "Chungking Express" (in my defense, I've seen all of his other work). Just like his other movies, it was dreamy and exquisite, everything from the cinematography and the script to the music and costumes. To me, this is absolute perfection, if such a thing exists.

The Easter break came and went too quickly as usual, and I barely ate any chocolate. Maybe that's not a bad thing. I stocked up on a few English classics, as well as a lighthearted French women's magazine. The weather has been grey, cold and rainy, and I've been curling up at home eating homemade pumpkin and carrot soup. I walked around Tokyo station and the stylish Marunouchi area, and I decided it is the very best place to shop in Tokyo. It's not very crowded on weekends since it's a business district, and they have all the shops you can imagine, from high-end to affordable, between there and Ginza. Much more spacious than Shibuya and Harajuku, and a notable absence of shrieking gyaru.

Next week is already Golden Week; apart from my first year in Japan, I never took a trip during that holiday ever since. I learned about how crowded and overpriced it is to go anywhere, and just enjoy an emptier Tokyo. A trip will come after that time, I can be just a little more patient.

Drinks at Fuglen
{non smoking and sleek design, you win}

Breakfast at Le Pain Quotidien
{jam bar!!!}

This key chain hides a...

USB key. 

In good company.

7 comments:

Christine said...

I love the usb key chain. So clever!

Lam said...

First time commenting here. I've been reading your awesome blog for a year now.

I was actually in Japan few weeks ago and it was great. I got to experience some awesome stuff.

In the mood for love is such a beautiful film :) I try to watch it at least once a year.

エメリ said...

Cute usb, where is it from? :)

Rebecca said...

What recipe do you use for your pumpkin soup?

Vivian said...

Chrsitine: Thank you! Yes, I do love something that is both pretty and practical!

Lam: Thank you for leaving such a kind comment, and reading my blog! Glad you enjoyed Japan, and hope you come back soon! In the Mood for Love is now one of my favourite movies :)

エメリ: It's from Kate Spade! I was browsing the shop for a wallet, then suddenly came across that.

Rebecca: I just steam a small kabocha and a few carrots, then put them in the blender to smooth. I then mix the paste with vegetable broth and soy milk! No exact measures, but have a taste to see. So good!

Yasu Tanida said...

Your blog is so much fun to read. Reminds me of my times visiting Japan.

You would like Wong Kar Wai's new film 'THE GRANDMASTER'.

Keep on writing!

Vivian said...

Yasu, thank you so much for your kind comment!! Makes me so happy. I'll definitely watch Wong Kar Wai's latest movie- what did you think of it?