Wednesday, March 12, 2014

March Things


A few colourful, happier things… I've been cooking a lot this week and packing my lunch box every day, it's amazing how much healthier I feel (let alone richer). I made some Italian staples like risotto, but also packed simple sandwiches and carrot sticks. My boyfriend was so surprised to see I packed a sandwich and raw carrots for lunch, I guess it's a little unusual in Japan and he thinks this kind of food is more fit for a rabbit. It's funny how such regular habits suddenly turn out to be a huge cultural gap. I've been taking long walks in addition to going to the gym, spring is definitely here as I came out of hibernation and feel more active (maybe I really am a rabbit).

A few days ago I saw a movie called Like Crazy (2011), and it really left a strong impression on me, a bit like Lost in Translation and Chungking Express did. It's a straightforward story about a long-distance relationship between LA and London, over a few years, and the difficulties that comes with it. Not that I ever personally experienced that, but I could relate to the growing pains, the visa troubles, the girl being a writer and that kind of career and lifestyle. Such a simple movie, loved the main actors and wardrobe throughout the movie and I watched it twice already. I don't know why, but it made me feel so good.

In other news, back to the gym: I'm seeing the worst habits and lack of manners in the locker room. Am I being picky and noticing flaws all over, or is leaving your outdoor shoes right on the locker room floor acceptable? Not to mention the sitting right next to me in the sauna when the whole sauna room is completely empty, splashing water, not wiping sweat off the seat/machines, littering and other things I cannot mention in such a public space. It's such a nice gym, too! Sigh.

Blending in

I have an apron, from LoFt

Mr Donut is all about ¥100 strawberry doughnuts

My lunch: miso soup and risotto

Bamboo-lined Nezu Museum

11 comments:

Christine said...

You are sooo chic!!! I love your haircut and that coat!

P.S. I tried streaming the movie but I couldn't find a good copy. Did you download it or streamed?

Vivian said...

Thank you Christine!! I downloaded the movie... Hope you can find a copy, so good!

Rachael Brennan said...

Hi Vivian,

I just booked flights to Tokyo for a few days after a work trip, and am determined to finally have a drink at the New York Bar at the Park Hyatt. Any recommendations on dress code, whether I should book, and the best time to go?
Thanks!
I'm so excited to be getting some alone time back in Japan (minus toddler and girlfriend). I'm going to eat and shop, and drink, and love it!

Vivian said...

Rachel: Exciting, welcome to Tokyo! The New York bar is the best. No need to book, just walk in. Best time to go is at sunset, like 5-6pm to see the sun set over the city. Later at night is also really good, but they charge a steep seating charge after 8pm (I think), which is like 3,000 yen per person. Drinks are around 2,000 yen each. It's worth the splurge!! Dress code, I think no jeans or shorts or sandals. I usually go after work so I'm sort of casually dressed anyways! Enjoy Tokyo and let me know if you have other questions!!

Mairefosho said...

Oh I don't miss the Japanese gym locker room, especially the obaasans!! I had one who insisted on sitting right next to me in the sauna and talking to me in inaka Japanese which she knew I couldn't understand! Haha and all the boob stares and comments like "okii ne"! Oh and the one who used to wash her underwear in the sink and steal the boxes of tissues!! LOL

thisbeijinglife said...

I'm glad you enjoyed Like Crazy! I really liked it too. I'm a Brit and Justin is American and we've had visa troubles etc in the past, so it really resonated with me. Lost in Translation is one of my all time favourite films, but I've never seen Chungking Express! I'll have to watch it- maybe it's on netflix! I always get that reaction about sandwiches from my Chinese colleagues too. They think it's really strange that I would eat that for lunch but I don't usually like a huge meal at lunch time.

Anna Tallo said...

I LOVED Like Crazy too. Watched it twice in a row when I first encountered it. So good.

Malice said...

I think going to that gym and you noticing all those things is a sign that you are thinking more in a japanese way. As you are noticing all the things rude people do. Yea I think the worst would be someone sitting right next to you in a sauna, ick. That risotto looks lovely right next to the miso.

Vivian said...

Mairefosho: yup, yup, that sounds about right, except in the city they wouldn't dare comment on my body…

Thisbeijinglife: please, please watch Chingking Express!! you'll love it.

Maline: indeed, maybe it's a good sign I think more in a Japanese way, even though some of the 'magic' is gone.

Brenda Bloom said...

What a nice blog, very useful ! I just moved to Tokyo and I have hard time finding a good gym, any tips ?

Brenda Bloom said...

What a nice blog, very useful ! I just moved to Tokyo and I have hard time finding a good gym, any tips ?