Monday, December 2, 2013

End of November

Life has almost resumed back to normal, although I haven't caught up on sleep (or the gym) yet. I did a lot of fun things to make up for all my extra hours working, and that included cripsy duck fat fries and French 75 cocktails in the sky, with the coolest Swedish couple in the world, Mats and Asa. If you've been reading my blog for a long time, you probably know I met them via this very blog, and they make an annual trip to Japan. We have now started our tradition of a yearly pilgrimage to the New York Grill at Park Hyatt Tokyo, also known as the bar from Lost in Translation. As usual we had a lovely time catching up on the past year over cocktails, a stunning city view and live jazz. We discussed everything ranging from our mutual admiration for Christopher Doyle and Hong Kong cinema, Louis Vuitton City Guides, lesser-known neighborhoods of Tokyo, to Swedish and Japanese cultures, and the fascination with Scandinavia in Japan (can't blame them). I realize lots and lots has changed since last time I met up with them- all in a good way. I hope I make it to Stockholm next!

I also randomly found myself at a photo shoot with Diane Pernet, the renowned fashionista. She was in Tokyo to promote her Fashion Film Festival, and she generously gave us some tickets so we caught a few movies. She was such a pleasure to work with, and I feel so lucky I met her.

In other news, I slept lots and lots, but still cannot seem to catch up. Thinking about my pending visa status has been keeping me up at night, but there is nothing I can do but wait. Visa and immigration issues is the worst kind of stress when living abroad. I hate being in limbo. I also had an annual medical check, which I feel thankful for, since the healthcare system is so efficient in Japan. Still not a big fan of Japanese clinics and their lack of privacy, but it's good to be able to see a doctor without waiting.

And now, it's December… cannot believe how insane this year has been, it was most definitely a year of huge changes.



Crispy Duck Fat Fries (don't let the name fool you)

Tokyo comes alive after dark

Necessary elevator shot

Kampai, in the sky

A lunchtime tempura set

Nerdin' out with the Odakyu Line decal

ASVOFF Tokyo

Roppongi at 10am, much better than 10pm

1 comment:

Brendon Wayne said...

Tokyo looks magnificent at night. It's a must-see.
-Global Venue Mix