Sunday, October 27, 2013

October, Post-Typhoon, Halloween

What was planned as a double typhoon whammy ended up just grazing Tokyo with an endless mist, then Sunday was crisp, chilly and gorgeous. It also happened to be Halloween weekend; although I didn't plan on dressing up or going anywhere, I found myself at a fun Halloween party in Ebisu. I sadly had no costume as it was a spur of the moment invitation, but it was fun to see what people came up with. To be fair, it was one of the nicest parties I've seen, from the decorations to cakes and entertainment- I am in admiration of whomever organized this bash.

I also decided not to drink on that night- I was extremely tired and knew having a drink would not be the best idea, so I stuck to sparkling water. The odd thing is, every single person I chatted with pointed out my choice of beverage. I hate having to explain why I'm not drinking on any particular occasion. Sometimes I drink, sometimes I don't. Maybe people are worried I'm not having fun when I'm clinging to a bottle of Perrier, but truth is, an open bar offering Perrier (a fine treat in Japan) is way more exciting than cheap beer on tap.

That sums up my Halloween this year, maybe a step up from last year when I just took a selfie dressed as a cat then strolled around my neighbourhood and called it a night. Today I took a long walk around my local area, and picked up the most perfect persimmon-shaped Japanese sweet. It was just as delicious as it looked. Every autumn I'm all about persimmons, I can eat at least two daily, some when I saw this sweet I just had to try it.

In a few days, I'll have been living in Japan for four years.


Mini cream-cheese frosted cupcakes
from Notting Hill Bakery

The loveliest sweet

Late afternoon stroll

No comments: