Monday, September 16, 2013

Tokyo Typhoon

September is typhoon season in Japan, and I still can't get used to those after four years. I can deal with small earthquakes and the extremely humid and hot Japanese summers, but I still loathe typhoons, as I find them so scary and unsettling. Typhoons are basically strong rain and wind for a few hours, most trains stop and it isn't recommended to step outside.

The typhoon was expected on Sunday, and as soon as I heard the heavy rain start on Sunday morning at 6am I started thinking about how I was home alone and didn't have much food around the house, so I  got dressed and stocked up on some staples at the local store, then went back to sleep. To my dismay it was sunny shortly after, the typhoon hadn't come yet and I had a full fridge (not bad).

I did what most people would do waiting for a typhoon, and went to a trashy afternoon foam party in a club in Roppongi. It was just as bad as it sounds, but obviously it was related to a work project and not something I actively sought. It was quite the cultural experience, and the club looks like it was filled with Shibuya 109 clientele. By the end I had had my fill of fried hair, deep tans and bikini tops, and had take out vegetarian burritos from my favourite Mexican joint. I also saw a samurai movie called "Unforgiven" (based on the 1992 movie of the same name) which was really good. I recommend seeing it, starring none other than Watanabe Ken.

On Sunday early morning the typhoon finally came, but I was peacefully asleep and I felt safe and found the wind and rain soothing. The typhoon did not last so long. Tokyo was okay but sadly many parts of Kyoto were flooded. I hope everyone is okay there. Mere hours later, the sky was clear, sunny, and the weather crisp- it had dropped about ten degrees. I love how clean the air feels post storm. And now I still have a fridge filled with food for the week, why not.

Pre-typhoon

Wet



4 comments:

Christine said...

Glad you're safe! I remember the typhoons in the Philippines lasted for hours. It was the best when I was a kid because school was cancelled, food all day, and playing inside the house with my sisters.

Quyen Nguyen said...

Natural disasters are horrible because there is not much anyone can do but wait it out. I have a feeling we'll have more this year and I wish everyone all the best.
http://liveitinerantly.com

artslondonblog said...

I have to say that I have such fond memories of the typhoon that hit a few weeks after arriving in Okayama and just after my arrival in Japan. I was alone in my apartment, my gf was living on the other side of town and neither of us had access to a regular phone line or indeed any way of staying in regular contact. But somehow we managed, through Kindle internet access and other odd means of getting in touch. Meanwhile, I went to the supermarket and got loads of unhealthy Hokkaido camembert, then cycled through the sideways rain onto Tsutuya for a tonne of DVDs. The wind swept through the rice fields outside, the whole building shook and I have never felt more alone. Nonethless, I really loved the drama of the storm, the feeling of a one off moment of grown-up isolation and the incredible foreign-ness of it all compared to mild old London weather. I watched some great movies too! And my supervisor rang to tell me that where I lived was likely to be flooded when the river burst, but since I lived on the second floor I “would probably be okay”. Honto.

jaredinnakano said...

You had your "fill of fried hair, deep tans and bikini tops"?! Color me jealous. Could you please explain what a foam party is? Is it related to the (icky) soap land?