Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The never-ending holiday: Kyoto

I stayed in a historic ryokan, I ate an entire pack of yatsuhashi, I drank sake every single day, I cycled all over the city and tried about three different cafes every day, I saw some lesser-known temples, I ran out of clothes so had to do laundry but still wore the same thing every day as I couldn't be bothered picking outfits in this heat, I wore flip-flops for the first time in four years, slept better than I have in a long time, and forgot what life is like in Tokyo. Kyoto is so beautiful, so relaxed, and best seen on a bicycle- you haven't experienced Kyoto until you've cycled through it.

I can't wait to write posts about the food I ate and places I've seen, I'm still too excited about everything and I need to get back to real life first. Funnily, I remember feeling just as depressed when I left Kyoto to go back to Marugame. Why is that?

Best soba in Kyoto, and possibly Japan

What I woke up to this morning

Japanese breakfast, I wish I ate that every day

My favourite nihonshu 

Yeah yeah, I did some work...

Elevator shot

Another amazing cafe

Pure bliss in the mountains

Perfection. 

9 comments:

Christine said...

That's an amazing holiday! The food alone...wow! I want that soba!

Quyen Nguyen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Quyen Nguyen said...

Thank you for the great photos. I have to plan a bicycling trip in Japan soon!

Johanna said...

Oh, it looks so amazing! Can't wait until I leave Sweden for 3 weeks in Japan in late September!

devoured said...

Kyoto looks and sounds so amazing - lucky you! Really, really want to go!

KaBi said...

I miss Kyoto!! I was there about 3 months ago! It was such a busy trip for us, only one day and night, but probably my favorite city we visited in Japan.
We stayed at the 坂の上 ryokan and it blew my mind! Totally relaxing and amazing food.
Next time I will cycle around!

pigonthego said...

Oh, wow, amazing! I LOVED staying in ryokans when I was living in Japan, even if it just the one just up the road from me. It's one of the experiences I always recommend to my friends who visit Japan. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

estelle ruet said...

Make me think of my recent trip to kyoto... I look forward to come back soon !

estelle ruet said...

Make me think of my recent trip to kyoto... I look forward to come back soon !