Friday, August 16, 2013

Post-Holiday Recovery

I've been back from Kyoto for barely a week, but it seems so far away and my life already has changed drastically, yet again. Again! I received some really exciting news while I was leisurely exploring Kyoto.

I am now working full-time, which is so exciting and pretty much my dream job. I feel so lucky- exactly two years ago I set foot in Tokyo with my little polka-dot backpack (I'll never forget that), moving in that awful (yet awesome) shared house, and just trying this whole freelance writing thing. It came at a cost, but I worked hard and I'm so grateful I've been offered such amazing opportunities in this city that once terrified me.

Two years later, life has changed and the memories of the shared house and its surrounding lifestyle have faded, but I'm nonetheless happy I went through that. Somehow everything I've done, even though they seemed like bad ideas at the time (shared house, working jobs I hated, writing for free) all led me to where I am now. Sounds extra cliché I know, but that's just how things worked out.

In other news, I received the best gift- a Fujifilm Instax mini camera, which produces Polaroid-like prints. It's a candy-like yellow hue, and it's such a fun toy. I also treated myself to a Pon de Ring at Mr Donut, I'm sure my gym trainer wouldn't approve, but it's my guilty pleasure. I swear I never liked doughnuts before I came to Japan, what happened? Could it be the cupcake shortage?

Treasures


The colours were black, white, pink, blue or yellow.
Yellow wins!

7 comments:

Christine said...

Congratulations on your full time job Vivian! Well deserved :)

love.heart.boom. said...

Exciting!! I've been reading all your Kyoto posts (ok every post!) with envy - can I come back to Japan yet?! Love the camera too (I have the pink one!!)..great minds..!!

Unknown said...

Hi Vivian,
Congrats on the new job!! I also like your new camera! Do you know if they're sold everywhere, or only in Japan?

It's funny about the donuts because I'm from the US and before I Lived in Japan I never ate donuts, but once I moved to Japan I became obsessed with Mr. Donut. Now that I'm back home I've gone back to never or rarely eating donuts. There is just something magical about Mr. Donut donuts!
~Sarah

Unknown said...

Hi Vivian,
Congrats on the new job!! I also like your new camera! Do you know if they're sold everywhere, or only in Japan?

It's funny about the donuts because I'm from the US and before I Lived in Japan I never ate donuts, but once I moved to Japan I became obsessed with Mr. Donut. Now that I'm back home I've gone back to never or rarely eating donuts. There is just something magical about Mr. Donut donuts!
~Sarah

philly said...

Congratulations, Vivian. I hope you celebrate this milestone in style and share a bit of what you are doing with us who follow you as you get into your new responsibilities. Exciting times. Again, congratulations.

Nina said...

Congrats on your job! I am happy you get to do what you really want :] and the camera is so cute! I have been wanting one lately, polaroids are just so fun!

mophiya S said...



Thank you for your information.



Andaman Holiday Package