Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Five-Minute Soba


I love soba in summer!

The summer heat has been reaching unbearable highs, and I've been solely subsiding on cold dishes, including this easy-to-make soba. After a particularly grueling day and bad instance of culture clash at the gym (I'll get into that story another time), a little (tall) bird taught me how to make this cold soba.

It's healthy, it's refreshing, it's quick, it's cheap, it's delicious, so here's a simple recipe to achieve it. As usual, all the ingredients are easily found at any local grocery shop in Japan, and possibly at most Asian markets overseas.

Ingredients (see below for photos)

- Soba dipping broth called tsuyu
- Japanese ginger called myouga 茗荷
- Soba noodles (uncooked, but you can buy pre-cooked ones if you're in a rush)
- Wasabi (fresh or simply a tube)
- Shredded seaweed kizami nori きざみのり

Preparation

Dipping sauce

- Cut the Japanese ginger in slices (one per person), and mix it with a portion of broth (I use about 1/3 of a small drinking glass). Add a splash of water, according to how strong you like the sauce, and a bit of wasabi in the mix.

Noodles

- Boil water and cook the soba noodles for about 5 min. Rinse in cold water, preferably chill in ice cubes (but hey, my freezer can't even hold ice cubes so I don't).

- Sprinkle some shredded seaweed over each portion of soba to serve.

Simply dip the noodles in the sauce, and there you go. I usually serve it with side dishes of cold tofu covered with soy sauce and ginger, and various vegetables to have a balanced meal.

Restaurant soba is usually more elaborate, served on special trays and with cooking water you can drink as tea at the end, but at home I just like to have an easy meal, perfect for summer days.

Try it!



The result


Myouga (Japanese ginger)


Wasabi (in a tube. I'm too lazy to grate the real thing)


Soba noodles from my local grocery store, there are many kinds.


Tsuyu (soba dipping broth)


Kizami Nori (Shredded nori)

2 comments:

philly said...

I love cold soba. Plus soba noodles from pure soba are gluten free for celiacs (though you have to read labels carefully as some companies use some wheat flour as do some brands of soy sauce).

I also love the raw egg whipped into the dipping sauce. That's easy protein and adds a great deal to the flavour of the dipping sauce which you drink down at your meal's end.

It's hard to believe that something this yummy is so easy.

rumibean said...

And then there are fools like me who are eating shabu-shabu when it's this hot. Ridiculous, right? Except it was pork shabu, which I hadn't tried, so apparently it sounded like a great idea. And it was awesome deliciousness even though I had to keep reminding my friend, of course you're burning up; we're cm. away from an open flame cooking a hot pot. In 35+º Tokyo.