Friday, June 21, 2013

Vegetable and Chicken Udon Recipe


I eat next to my MacBook- how classy.

This niku udon (meat udon) is my staple food- when I feel sick, cold, or just broke because it's so cheap and easy to make, yet nutritious and tasty. My boyfriend taught me how to make this, and he makes fun of me because I constantly make it, and he thinks it's a bit odd.

I'm not sure of all the ingredients names, but all of them can be easily found at any supermarket in Japan, they're very basic. If you're abroad, I think you can find most of them in Asian markets. You can click on the links to read more and see photos to recognize the items.

Keep in mind that this is my creative twist and my own techniques on it, but it works well.

Here it is.

Vegetable and Chicken Udon Recipe

Ingredients:

Ground chicken (small pack)
Firm tofu called momen (one block)
Harusame noodles (one pack)
Udon noodles (one pack)
Grated carrots and bamboo (you can buy a ready pack)
Shungiku leaves (which are difficult to get outside of Japan)
Green onion negi (one stem)
Instant dashi (fish stock, I use one tea bag)
Sesame oil (one teaspoon)
Soy sauce (one teaspoon)
Konbu tsuyu sauce (a rich stock, a few teaspoons to taste)

Preparation:

- Boil about 4 cups of water with the dash bag in it. You can remove the bag once it's boiling.

- Mix the ground chicken with sesame oil and roll into small meatballs, and add them to the boiling water to cook.

- Rinse the clear harusame noodles, and add to the water.

- Rinse the tofu, cube it and add to the water.

- Cut the green onion and shunpike leaves, and add to the water along with the carrots and bamboo.

- Add the udon noodles at the last minute, as they're better when not soggy.

- Add the soy sauce and konbu tsuyu sauce, and taste as you go along.

It doesn't need to cook for very long, as long as the meatballs are fully cooked, it's ready. It makes about 4-5 portions, so I usually eat it for a few meals. If you have most staple ingredients on hand, buying the fresh produce to add will barely cost you ¥400-¥500.

いただきます!!



4 comments:

Khaleesi said...

Ah thanks for telling me what firm tofu is called! I've been trying to figure that out forever!

marleyzelinkovasmith said...

Oishisou~! Japanese noodle soups are my staple too. I love how with Japanese ingredients you can make such a splendid-looking meal so simply. Japanese food is the best.

TomDy said...

I just found your blog by total accident, but I am really glad that I did. My spouse is Japanese, and we have talked about moving from California back to her home city there. reading your posts really hits home with me and how I also have seen the amazingly structured lives of the Japanese. Thanks for writing this blog and showing a truly open mind from a gaijin perspective.

Vivian said...

Hi Tom,
Thanks for your comment, I'm happy you found my blog so randomly! I really enjoy living here despite how difficult it is at times for non-Japanese, but overall it's a great quality of life and I think anyone with an open-mind would really love it. Let me know if you ever have any questions!
V.