Saturday, June 1, 2013

Big Beach Festival 2013

For the second year in a row, I made my way to Big Beach Festival- the yearly electronic music event, located on a beach in Chiba. Not always my cup of tea in terms of music, it's always a fun place to be nonetheless, and I do love being at the beach and sipping on cocktails, as it really gives the tone to the upcoming summer.

This year Basement Jaxx and Fatboy Slim were headlining, and although I'd seen both before, they're always enjoyable, and it brings back some nostalgic memories of the late nineties. Speaking of which, the fashion trends spotted at Big Beach were all about the nineties and eighties, with neon, high-waists, cropped tops, big hair and makeup. Some girls were even wearing heels at the beach- welcome to Japan. I felt quite muted in my washed out denim dress, and was probably wearing too many layers to fit in. The truth is, Big Beach always attracts a bit of a trashy crowd (started to look like Roppongi), but hey, it's a beach, and after downing a mojito I chilled out a bit.

I ran into many people I know and had a blast dancing and being near the water. My skin turned red despite slathering on the SPF 50 sunscreen, but hopefully it turns into a tan. Makuhari beach always reminds me of my very first visit to Japan, when I was living in Korea and came to attend Summer Sonic at the same venue- little did I know that it would become my home. Life works out in the most amazing ways, doesn't it?


A big, cloudy beach


Neon alert!


A sparsely attend morning, then it got extremely crowded


The main stage, Maya Jane Coles


Food area: wonder what's in those tacos.


Did I spot a new type of Crocs? WHY? WHYYY


Blue nails and a refreshment, maybe I need to drink more


What I wore. Not enough neon. 

No comments: