Monday, May 6, 2013

It's May

And with May comes Golden Week, that (nearly) week-long holiday that has all the trains and highways crowded, and that leaves Tokyo half-empty (and half-filled with tourists). My best Golden Week was undoubtedly my very first one in Japan, that time I escaped my quiet town in Shikoku to have a whirlwind debauchery in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and Nara. I vividly remember coining that phrase, "Marugame smells of rice fields and boredom" upon returning from that epic holiday.

My other Golden Weeks over the years paled in comparison, and this one was just as blah- probably the worst I've had overall, because I didn't have a single day off. It put me in a bit of a sour mood, and for once, I wish I could escape the madness of Tokyo to smell the rice fields and boredom, just for a few days. No matter how much I love what I do for a living, I feel quite stressed out lately with all the changes I've had in my life and I don't think I'm doing completely well at anything at all in my life. I feel like I'm failing at being a friend, a girlfriend, a daughter, and even an employee. I miss writing this blog regularly, I miss running daily, and I miss baking. I miss traveling around Japan and seeing all the beauty and quirks it has to offer- the only sights I'm seeing lately are concrete buildings, crowded trains and my computer screen.

End of my rant.

Here are some colourful things that slightly make everything better:



Children's Day floating carps near Yokohama, so pretty


And, the Prince is back. Everything makes sense again.


Two Princes, loud prints, and energy drinks


Kyary Pamyu Pamyu's band-aid collection 


Marc by Marc Jacobs slap bracelet- how retro!


Homemade breakfast


Flirting at Starbucks... Ha!


The Hello Kitty edition doughnuts at Mr Donut


Late afternoon Bellini's with lovely Judith!


My new obsession- slightly better than Nutella

9 comments:

Christine said...

Hope everything will turn around for you and you can have more free time. I absolutely adore your slap bracelet. Reminds me of the 90's.

Kristina said...

Don't worry, I think everybody has the feeling to be failing everybody and everything. I am sure you give what you can - hopefully you will find the time to esapce the bustle of the city and get some quite-time in the ricefields!! Kristina x

Kristina said...

PS: I meant to say that everybody has this feeling sometimes!! Not all the time! Too early in the morning, sorry!! :)

Gigglebangs Riceball said...

Donkey Hote! I'm laughing out loud here!

philly said...

http://www.thewayofwords.com/uncategorized/note-to-self-grab-a-pillow.php

Hugs.L

Isabel said...

That was the best trip ever together - we had so much fun. You could never fail as a friend.

xoxoxo

Nat AndMatt said...

Oh I know that feeling. I used to travel a lot more. I miss it so much. I don't want to be tied down just to home and a job. But that's how things go. We have to find other pleasures.

jaredinnakano said...

What do you think of the "new" Mister Donut? I heard they changed the oil, and the flavor. What do you think of the change? I have to get there soon!

Vivian said...

Hi Jared!! I didn't even notice! I think they taste the same. Overdue for a catch up session- lets hit mr donut sometime, ha!