Tuesday, April 9, 2013

My idea of hanami.

A few weeks ago, I ranted about not liking the drunken, chaotic part of hanami, which I managed to escape this time around. I've been there and done that for three consecutive years, so this time I happily changed it up- I dressed up in my yukata for the occasion (my summer kimono), adorned with a gorgeous shimmery obi that was kindly lent to me, and headed to my favourite (empty!) park in Tokyo.

It was the best hanami ever, and even though it was cold and windy, the wind just made the flowers fall down, which is the most beautiful part, I think.

Fun facts- cherry blossom flowers actually don't smell like anything at all, and I was dressed professionally as I completely forgot everything I thought I had learned in my kimono dressing class. However, the strong wind and my awkward walking made me a bit disheveled, but it was such a fun day, and will forever be one of my best memories of Japan.

And I drank, a little.

Photos: Maaserhit Honda










15 comments:

Rachel Anastasia said...

I LOVE these photos. Absolutely gorgeous! You look amazing and the photographer has a great eye.

Rachel Anastasia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Johanna said...

Oh, beautiful!

Jing Chiam said...

What a lovely series!

Kristina said...

Amazing pictures, you look stunning!!!! Would so love to dress up in a traditional kimono, looks so beautiful!

T Jr. said...

Oh my goodness. Yamato-Nadeshiko!

fran-japani said...

Wow!! So beautiful :)

Judith L said...

Vivian! You look incredible and these pictures are just fantastic!
I might need to go play dress up in mine while there are still Sakura left!

philly said...

What a lovely thing to do. I'm a firm believer in making special moments your own in your own way. As you say, they become unforgettable. I remember my own private ohanami (not in Japan). As I sat drinking sake the petals sailing the air,a single petal landed inside my open sweater. Right next to my heart. I pressed it between my bank cards. I still have it.

Isabel said...

Just beautiful
xo

Christine said...

Beautiful Vivian!!! So serene!

Ursula Leonowicz said...

beautiful... and i love the falling cherry blossoms in the breeze!

locohama said...

So beautiful!

kellina said...

Breathtaking! Love. Thank you for sharing your beautiful moment with us.

Vivian said...

Thank you so much!! I owe all the credit to the photographer though... haha. It was fun to play dress up, despite the freezing cold weather that day!