Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Montreal, this one's for you.


Since returning from Sendai, I've been keeping things low-key, staying around my local area, and drinking lots of coffee. I've had more time to think about life and such- not only my Sendai experience was an eye-opener, but every once in a while I reassess my life choices, and being in Japan is an important one.

I don't see Japan as an 'experience' anymore as my life is here, but it doesn't mean I don't miss home, family and friends. I especially do lately, I miss Montreal a lot and the lifestyle. I miss random things like living in the Mile End, picking up bagels at St-Viateur, those crazy good sandwiches near that big Greek church, Sunday brunches sitting outdoors, and seeing cheap gigs at La Sala Rosa. I miss my friends, and I miss my mom. I've been gone for so long now, I am losing track of what my friends back home are up to, and even though we somewhat keep in touch, our lives are so different that I'm scared it won't be the same when I see them again. Maybe they think I forgot about them since I haven't been home in so long, but I haven't and I want to visit so badly.

Yet, living in Japan is amazing- I love my life here, and lately I'm the happiest I've ever been, so it's bittersweet. I can't stop saying it, but I am thankful for all the opportunities I've been given here and all the amazing people I've met. It's also the most relaxed and peaceful I've been in a long time, so that says a lot.

But yeah. Sometimes I just want to eat a bagel and a smoked meat sandwich.

Lion says stop.
How adorable is that?!


The most expensive latte I've ever had - ¥780 seriously?!
But cute latte art.


A bowl of café au lait and pain au chocolat
at one of my favourite cafe, Le Pain Quotidien


Caramel cheesecake (oh my god) and a serious latte
at Mois in Shimokitazawa

Relaxing on the sofa with my "relax bear" socks.
I love having a sofa!


3 comments:

Coffee_c said...

Dear dear Vivian, I can only speak for, but I do miss you and I KNOW you haven't forgotten about your friends. I always read your blog and I enjoy it so much. I might even be jealous of your fabulous Tokyo life.

I can't wait for you to visit, and I promise we will go for a cupcake (or two...or three) at Cocoa Locale on Avenue du Parc.

Miss you dear friend. xxxx
Annie

Jase said...

Vivian, I just stumbled across your blog and this happened to be the first post I read. I recently have just returned to live in Japan after having been here for four years previously in the early 2000's.

One part of the decision making process that left me wracked with guilt was walking away from my fantastic family and friends knowing in my heart that it was going to be a long term move this time. Just recently, one of my closest friends had a milestone birthday party that I would have loved to be at. Everyone was posting photos on facebook in real time so I could be "part of the celebration". I appreciated it, but it made me quite sad at the same time.

Another thing I that I thought long and hard about when making my decision to come back to Tokyo was my mother. She had started having some small health problems and I was concerned that something bigger would ultimately happen. Guess what. She is about to undergo open heart surgery on Monday. It is not possible for me to be there, and the rest of my family, Mum included, reassure me that while it is open heart surgery, the process itself is quite simple and straight forward.

So I feel for you as I have the same thoughts and feelings, but I too love being here and wouldn't trade it for anything.

In life, we make choices about the direction our lives are going to take and no matter which direction we choose, there will always be small regrets.

I look forward to exploring more of your blog.

Jason.

Vivian said...

Annie- Merci poulette!!! Et surtout merci de me lire après toutes ces années... tu me manques tellement! J'ai tellement hâte de revenir et je me sens coupable de ne pas avoir pu revenir avant. J'ai hâte de rencontrer ta petite famille :) Bref... cupcakes promis! Je t'adore! xxxxxx

Jason- thanks so much for your kind comment, and I'm glad you can relate. I'm sorry to hear about you Mum and i can't imagine how difficult it must be. I hope she has a smooth recovery, and i'm sure everything will be fine. i think Skype really helps nowadays, we're lucky to have that technology which makes us feel closer. thanks for stopping by my blog!