Monday, April 22, 2013

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu

If you live in Japan, you've most likely heard of Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, unless you live under a rock. If you don't live in Japan, chances are you aren't familiar with her name, but be prepared to be.

She's a phenomenon in Japan- not only in the kawaii world, but everywhere else. Her real name is Takemura Kiriko, and she started out as a fashion model for Harajuku-style magazines, then suddenly released a hit song that came with a psychedelic trip of a video, and she's now one of the biggest pop stars in the country. She also released her own line of false eyelashes, for those interested.

Her costumes are over-the-top, gravity-defying designs, her videos are a dizzying spiral into some kind of candy land, and her music is robotic, sugary and oh-so-catchy. Most of her songs have very simple titles, such as "PonPonPon", "Candy Candy", and "Fashion Monster". I know this sounds weird coming from the mouth of a devoted Sonic Youth and The Smiths fan, but I love Kyary Pamyu Pamyu.

I can't stop watching her videos, there must be something they put in it to get people hooked. I saw her perform live yesterday at the aptly named Kawaii Matsuri (thrown by her management company, who else), and despite my vow to only stick around for two songs, I stayed until the very end.

I also had the chance to be interviewed on national Japanese TV about kawaii culture and the whole Kyary Pamyu Pamyu sensation- I did a terrible job fumbling on the word "popularized" (hey, I'm French), but it was fun to watch afterwards.

Here's your introduction to Kyary Pamyu Pamyu- get your fill of rainbows and ribbons:

PonPonPon

 My personal favourite, Ninjyari Bang Bang   




Looking quite serious discussing 'kawaii' culture.
The upper caption says I'm media from Canada


4 comments:

Waffle Computer said...

I watched the videos for the first time, and at least five times. I tell you, I usually listened to Mozart.

Vivian said...

Waffle Computer- Ha!! Glad you got into it. Hard to stop watching isn't it?!

Isabel said...

woah. I think I love her too!
xo

Nat AndMatt said...

The first time I saw her, I dismissed her as the J-Pop I had been warned about. Then I realized I was listening to her music in shops and they had a good melody. I also thought the lyrics sounded like they might be a little deep but was disappointed that they are shallow, but I still like her now. In fact, the more I see her the more I become attracted to her, it's scary