Saturday, April 20, 2013

Kawaii Overload


Kawaii is perhaps the Japanese word you'll hear the most in Japan, and even though it simply means "cute", it is used for an endless string of subjects- animals, clothes, interior design, hairstyles, food, and human beings. 

I have a love/hate relationship with the whole kawaii culture in Japan. As much as I love cute things like childish characters, feminine clothing, ribbons, kittens and puppies, I hate how much and how loosely this term is used. Just going shopping in a clothing store, I hear enough 'kawaiiiiiiii' 's (mostly shrieked by girls, but hey, boys use it too) to make my head spin. I believe there are words, other than cute, to describe clothes. How about beautiful, elegant, chic, stylish, snazzy, sophisticated? Most of those have a Japanese translation, so unless those girls dropped out of school at the elementary level, there is no excuse to stick to one word for every single thing in sight.

Today marked the pinnacle of kawaii-ness as I attended the Kawaii Matsuri (Kawaii Festival) on assignment. As much as I hate to admit it, it was rather fun and an interesting cultural experience- taken with a grain of salt.

Here's a few cute things that marked my week- one of the most hectic weeks I've had in a long time, but I am loving my new schedule and routine.


Floral-print dress for spring


Dance shoes + mint green shoelaces


Heart latte art from Streamer Coffee Company


I posed for Polaroids (um, Instax) at the Kawaii Matsuri


I finally met those guys- they marked my teenage years.

6 comments:

Judith L said...

That dress is so cute! Where did you get it?

Vivian said...

Thanks!! Top shop! xx

T Jr. said...

You should put a small word "Cho-" just before Kawaiiiii. Then you can make more people's head spin!

Vivian said...

T Jr.- INDEED!!! That is the worst!!!! "Choooooo Kawaiiiiii neeeeee!!!!!!" GAH.

Christine said...

Love your dress!!! Beautiful..errr kawaiiii ;)

Isabel said...

You are so....cute!
xo