Monday, March 18, 2013

Stranger in a Strangeland





No, that's not me (although that's how I feel sometimes in Japan), but the name of a project a group of my friends started- that turned into a mini series, that is picking up quickly in Tokyo.

The whole series is entitled "I Am Model", which poked fun at the modeling industry in Tokyo. My friend Dean, who is a professional model here, gets to be dressed up and even body painted for various assignments and runway shows, and he always takes it a bit further.

For example, last time he was entirely body painted as the Avatar man for a show. When he was done work, he thought it would be fun to stay in character and have some fun with it, so he called photographer/filmmaker Maaserhit Honda, and they shot some hilarious scenes around Shibuya and Omotesando. The clips feature Dean in full body paint, walking around and approaching people- the reactions are all different, ranging from surprised to scared, and he mostly got lots of attention from the ladies.

They're making more videos but I wanted to share this as I think it's brilliant. Yes, yes, I'm shamelessly promoting my friends' work but I love it and I'm so proud of them for making something so sleek on some random autumn night in Tokyo. I like the acting, the filming, the editing, and the music, which they all made from scratch.

Here's the trailer:



And the movie- my favourite episode:




You can watch the previous episodes here, and check for the upcoming ones. The next one will be about English teachers in Tokyo, so should be interesting...

1 comment:

Eddie said...

That video and its concept is neat. Nothing like an impromptu idea that takes on a life of its own :)

I recognized Dean from a BTS video from one of Alfie Goodrich's photo workshops.