Sunday, March 31, 2013

(Not) Easter


Housewarming flowers from friends are the best kind xo

Easter is not celebrated in Japan- there's not even a slight twist on it like the Japanese version of Christmas. Maybe it's better this way, but Easter is one of my favourite holidays back home. Not only because of the chocolates (well, mainly), but also because it always marked the beginning of spring, and I have vague memories of watching those dark movies about Jesus's life (and um, death), in true Catholic form. Nowadays I don't miss it for religious reasons, but I just want to eat an Easter bunny and do an egg hunt.

I went to the import store in hopes to find Easter-related chocolates, but no bunnies or hen in sight. I nearly had a meltdown when I realized that perhaps I was feeling a little homesick. I ended up on Omotesando at the Lindt shop, where indeed, they had the classic gold-foiled wrapped bunny sporting a bell. Unfortunately, a group of shrieking Japanese girls were blocking my access to the bunny, so I got frustrated and left, angrily thinking that they probably didn't even know what Easter is or represents, unless they were fervent Christians (which I highly doubt).

So that ended my Easter quest, and instead of ingesting calories I burned them walking up and down Omotesando and in the surrounding shops- so my Easter day ended on a hiiiiiigh note.

In other news, I'm going to Sendai (Miyagi prefecture), so I'm looking forward to post about it when I return.

2 comments:

Christine said...

Oh no! I wish I had know sooner so I could send you easter eggs.

P.S. I nominated you for a Liebster award! Here is the link http://christinelovestotravel.blogspot.ca/2013/04/liebster-blog-award.html

Vivian said...

Christine- aw, thanks!! but i still need to mail YOUR parcel!!! I am so sorry!!!! It will come!!!
Thanks for the nomination! xx