Friday, March 15, 2013

I went to IKEA

Japan has a few IKEA stores scattered around the country, a blessing for people who just moved apartments and are completely broke from it, but still want to furnish it and pretend to be stylish. That would be me.

IKEA in Japan is pronounced "ee-kay-ah", so you'll get confused looks from Japanese people if you pronounce it the English way. IKEA is a daytrip, an experience- not just a stop to stock up on a few essentials.

We drove to the branch in the depths of Kanagawa prefecture, presumably near Yokohama and it felt like we weren't in Japan anymore due to the gigantic, multi-leveled parking lot. I mostly like IKEA for the food, so the afternoon started with a potato and meatballs meal, complete with a selection of bread. Even though this is a typically Swedish meal, it felt Canadian and reminded me of home. Maybe because the last time I went to IKEA was about four years ago.

As usual I only had a few must-buy items on my list, but I left with about ten times that amount, yet for a surprisingly low price. I was able to furnish my whole apartment, from furniture to dish ware and towels and candles and gingerbread cookies and jam for a ridiculously low amount of money.

The day ended with the obligatory hot dog and ice cream stop- what a healthy day! I burned off those calories by riding the cart around the parking lot for a few laps. Fun times!

I love going to IKEA. It feels like home, and even though it's in Japan, it's still full of pushy people and crying babies in strollers, which almost felt comforting. I highly recommend taking a trip to IKEA if you just moved to Japan. Many major stations offer a bus service that go there directly.



Meatballs!!!


Hot dogs- which I hadn't eaten in years!


Me being silly

2 comments:

Eddie said...

Here Ikea serve the meatballs with mash, a side serving of gravy, cranberry sauce and a miniature Swedish flag :)

BTW, what's the practice in Japan when shopping for bulky items if driving is not an option? Is it common for stores to foot the service for delivery?

Vivian said...

Eddie- yeah i wanted the mashed and gravy!! and the flag!! rubbish...

As for delivery, you can pay to get deliver bulky items and most people do that, or simply rent a truck for a day as it can be cheaper. Stores in Japan always deliver for a fee, it's not so bad actually, I bought lots of furniture here.