Friday, February 1, 2013

Winter Favourite: Kuzuyu

I recently was acquainted with a sweet (both literally and figuratively) Japanese beverage called kuzuyu. The first thing I exclaimed after a few sips was, "how did I not know about this for the whole time I've been in Japan?!"

Guess I've been living under a rock, as maybe other people are familiar with kuzuyu, but I wasn't- and if you aren't either, please try! It looks like a thick, stick green tea, but it's not actually green tea despite the shade (and the one I tasted was green tea flavoured). Kuzu is arrowroot (a starch), and yu is hot water. Thanks to the starch, the consistency is very thick and honey-like, and viscous. The taste is rather sweet, a bit like honey. To be fair, it doesn't look all that great, but it tastes heavenly. There are other flavours available, such as ginger, which is a bit spicier.

Kuzuyu is traditionally served as a hot drink or dessert in the winter, and consumed when people have colds and such. I'm always cold in the winter (and most other months except August!), so sipping on hot beverages keeps me toasty during those times. I love kuzuyu!

Here's the kanji if you want to find it at the supermarket: 葛湯



Don't be fooled by the looks...


6 comments:

rina azmi said...

can you describe the taste?

Waffle Computer said...

I haven't had kuzu-yu for years. I usually had plain kuzu-yu, and never had green tea flavored.

Vivian said...

rina- a bit like honey! quite sweet!

yo kuribayshi said...

>rina azmi said...
>can you describe the taste?

It's creamy and soft taste.
I usually drink it when I got cold.
Strongly recommend you.
I am a Japanese guy.

kasumiya goro said...

おじゃま致します。
画像にある湯呑みは日光いろは会館のものでしょうか?私は日光行きの際はここで食事をしますので目に留まりました、間違っていたらごめんなさい。
貴方様のブログはsearchinaからよく拝見しております^^v

ohmyomiyage said...

Ohh kudzu tea! Haha I tried this for the first time a few months back, and I didn't like it as much as you do! I couldn't get used to the "gooiness", and I kept imagining actual kudzu plants that we hate so much back home. My husband is a big fan though! I actually did a post on it too - the one I tried didn't have any green tea in it so it was more of a milky whitish color.

http://ohmyomiyage.wordpress.com/2012/12/10/kudzu-tea/