Monday, February 25, 2013

How to Wear a Kimono

Tabi socks, and the right way to position feet

A few months ago, I took a kimono dressing class. I've always been fascinated with kimonos, I find them extremely beautiful and elegant. However, putting it on was not as easy as I had imagined- the two hour session I spent copying the instructor normally is spread over twelve lessons, for the basic kimono. Countless hours, ties, butterfly knots and lots of patience were involved in the process.

I remember I felt quite sick that day, and the layers and tightness made me panic a little, but once I saw the final result I was so happy and I didn't want to take it off. I wish I could wear a kimono every day, as it completely changed the way I walked and behaved. I felt quite sophisticated and graceful. I also found out interesting details about the undergarment, something I was always curious about.

It was one of the most wonderful experiences I've had in Japan, and I feel so lucky I was able to try this part of the culture. I'm also very thankful to the instructors at the school, Inspire Space Hiroo, and to my amazingly patient and skilled photographer, who made me feel so comfortable.

Read my full story here.

All photos by Maaserhit Honda



The collar has to be symmetrical with the back


My kind instructors and stylists


I played copycat for two hours, so difficult!


Tying the obi by myself was the most difficult part!

5 comments:

Nat AndMatt said...

The 'correct' position of feet explains why so many Japanese women have wonky legs. I feel sorry for them. I've seen some so bad I'm surprised they can walk.

Rebecca said...

I just started reading your blog in preparation to go teach English in Japan with my fiance. I wanted to let you know how much I enjoy the little snapshots of the culture and country in your posts. I'm also a fan of the Canadian content! I`m from SK but live in la belle ville de Quebec now :)

Vivian said...

Indeed! But nowadays girls only walk like that because its supposed to be "cute". It's messed up, it looks ridiculous and their legs are practically deformed! NOT cute! Every time I see girls walking like that I want to trip them.

Vivian said...

Thanks Rebecca!! When are you coming, and which part of Japan? I'm from Montreal, I miss that part of the world! Feel free to ask me anything in preparation.

Federica Di Silvestro said...

AMAZING!
I am now following you thanks to follow me!
I wait for you soon!
Kisses from Rome
Federica
smartchicdietreadbooksandfly.blogspot.itA