Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Shared Houses in Japan

Now that I don't live in a shared house anymore, I can finally write about it.

Living in a shared house is a popular option for foreigners in Tokyo, although not so much in smaller cities. You'd struggle to find roommates in the countryside or even smaller cities, as sharing accommodations with friends or random strangers is an un-Japanese concept, and it's not usually part of the culture- most people live by themselves.

However, in places like Tokyo, where many foreigners and young Japanese who have lived abroad dwell, the concept is gaining popularity, and you can easily find roommates. So many of those old, traditional Japanese houses have been transformed into "guesthouses", so by having a quick browse around the web, you can easily secure yourself a new room, with very little fees.

As I'll tackle in another post soon, moving by yourself in Japan is extremely expensive: deposit, key money, realtor fee, fire insurance, lock changes, cleaning fee... it adds up to roughly three times the rent, and you must shell out that initial amount upon moving in. Not to mention how difficult it can be for a foreigner to find a place that accepts foreigners- it's no secret, many landlords refuse to rent to foreigners (for various reasons- could be racism, could be because we tend to move out often, or language barrier). Therefore, the choice is limited and I've nervously sat countless hours at the real estate agency, twisting my fingers because every phone call he made turned me down.

So come shared houses- not only is it cheap and simple to secure, but it saves you major headaches. Everything is already set up- the internet, appliances, and you can use all the dishes in the kitchen. Rooms are usually furnished, so you just bring your clothes and belongings, and you're set. And, shared quarters are a great way to meet friends, most of my roommates became good friends, and it's comforting to come home to a presence, especially when you live abroad.

My friend Justin wrote a blog post about shared houses, and he asked me to spill some stories about it, so I did. If you want to read some funny anecdotes and the reason why I left, hop over to his brilliant blog.

If he wasn't my friend, I'd hate him because his blog is so good.

6 comments:

Nat AndMatt said...

I'm passed wanting to live with other people unless its a partner. I had my adventures now my need for solitude is much greater. That sounds sad but my life isn't a random mess of fun anymore, its what I want it to be instead. That's interesting, the characters you meet. No idea why that girl was hoarding trash though. I thought Japanese were clean

berlotranslations said...

Translation Services
Translation services have emerged as the indispensable service required by all global companies. This service is very reliable service to make you more convenient and comfortable.

Christine loves to Travel said...

Pretty scary that someone came in your room while you were at work. I don't think I can stand having a lot of roommates especially if it's not family or close friends.

Vivian said...

Nat and Matt- yeah, not all Japanese are clean! That girl was a serious nutcase, she was filthy. We never saw her, she'd hide in her room (with her garbage) all the time. She must have had a weird disorder.

Christine- I'm that same way too, now! I'm done living with strangers...!

Michi Munster said...

Shared housing is definitely a good option when having to move around often, especially abroad. (I've recently had to do it 4 times in the past 6 months as my work was constantly sending me to new locations). But nonetheless, I always have my fingers crossed that the house mates I get will be nice and normal (and hopefully, clean!).

Oscar Chica said...

The link from the second to last (avant-dernier) paragraph does not work! I want to read the anecdotes!