Saturday, December 1, 2012

Kimono Girl


A few days ago I had the chance to learn how to put on a kimono, and it was one of the most memorable and wonderful experiences I've had in Japan. I was actually assigned that pleasant task for an upcoming article for the magazine, but I couldn't help and post sneak peeks from the kimono.

I went to a kimono class, where two lovely ladies taught me the ropes and helped me out with the styling. Learning how to put on the basic kimono (minus the obi tie!) can take about twelve lessons, spread over a few months. 

Putting on the kimono took me almost two hours, as there are so many components- so many ties and undergarments, but every little detail and stitching is made to be symmetrical. It's such a complex process, but so beautiful. The final result is very tight and rigid, but it made me feel so elegant and sophisticated. There is even a specific way to pose with the feet (slightly inwards) and walk. Wearing a kimono is more than just a piece of clothing, as it literally changes your entire demeanor.

Getting dressed in the kimono can be a rather intimate process, too. I had a professional photographer in tow taking shots of all the steps, and thankfully I felt so comfortable and relaxed in his presence. Those photos below were taken with my phone, but soon I'll be able to release the high quality ones.

I can't wait to write about my experience in detail, and I actually would love to take the full kimono course. I also wish I could wear kimono every single day!!

The back

Trying to be refined


I changed my hairstyle a few times


I think I was completely exhausted by that point!

2 comments:

Judith L said...

I've been waiting for this post! Can't wait to see the pro pictures and your article. You look great!

Christine loves to Travel said...

Sooo beautiful!!