Sunday, December 2, 2012

Around Nakano

It's December now, already.

I've been living in Nakano for only two weeks. I haven't had much time to explore, since the past little while has been all about work and more work. A part of me felt a little isolated, as I'm in a completely unfamiliar, different neighbourhood than I used to be, and a little further from my friends and usual haunts.

Thankfully, yesterday I made the best purchase ever, in the form of a bicycle. I've always owned bikes in Japan, such as my buttercream one in Shikoku and the pink one in Osaka. After moving to Tokyo over a year ago, I never got around to getting a bike and it's something I dearly missed. Riding a bike is synonymous with freedom, adventures, and well, exercise. Every time I ride a bike I remember that feeling I had in the rice fields of Shikoku or downtown Osaka, and it's pretty amazing.

The new bike is named ドンキーちゃん (Donki-chan), because I purchased it at the local ドン・キホーテ (a store that sells everything from laundry detergent to fake eyelashes, liquor and sex toys). I rode it all the way home and almost couldn't sleep because I was so excited to ride it again. Today I cycled all around Nakano and Shinjuku, which is literally steps away. Riding in Shinjuku was a bit confusing, but not as scary as it sounds. I love my new bike!!

In other Nakano-related news, I've been loving the メロンパン (melon bread) shop near my house. I never thought I'd like melon bread (bread and melon just don't go together), but that one barely tastes like melon and is just so delicious. I also stocked up on other items for my apartment, such as an adorable cat-shaped humidifier. If you don't have a humidifier in Japan during winter, run and go get one now!! It does wonders for your skin.

**Edit: I read that melon bread is not traditionally flavoured with melon, but recently many of them actually taste like melon, like the ones I had at the convenience store that look greenish. The pastry is only supposed to look like a melon. Interesting!!



Donki chan!


Kanda River near my house. It's quite narrow.



Melon bread. It's so big and fluffy and delicious.


Humidifier cat. Doesn't photograph well but it's cuuuute.

2 comments:

Christine loves to Travel said...

Love your bike! I want to try melon bread, it sounds very interesting. Is it sweet?

Vivian said...

I'll try to send you a packaged one! It's a bit sweet, doesn't actually taste like melon, it's hard to explain! The inside is fluffy and bread-like, and the top is usually sweetened. It's so good!! However I don't like it when it's colored with green dye..!