Saturday, November 3, 2012

Japan, three years later.


Not so lost anymore.

Exactly three years ago, I arrived in Japan. In Nagoya, to be precise- it would be my first, temporary home before moving by myself to the rice fields of Shikoku.

I remember every single detail of that day- what I was wearing (a navy dress and black tights), what I did upon arrival (a most exciting convenience store visit and raid), what I ate (my first week's diet was entirely based on sushi, vitamin water, and Pocky sticks). Furthermore I also remember exactly how I felt at that time: ecstatic, lighthearted, euphoric, a bit scared, and mostly happy. Something I cannot describe to other people, but a feeling I'll forever remember.

I always promised myself I'd leave Japan whenever I stopped feeling that way. Of course, after living here for three years, it's not something I feel constantly, but every so often it pops up and it reminds me of how much I love it here.

Things have changed so much over the past three years, I feel like a completely different person. I love where I am now and what I do here in Tokyo, and I love my friends and the life I've built for myself. I miss my family and friends back home every single day, but somehow Japan has become more than just a stint trying something different- it turned into real life.

12 comments:

The Only Blonde in Osaka said...

おめでとうございます on your three years in Japan!

LH said...

Nice post & so happy for you Vivian! It is really admirable how far you've come as an expat, I'm still missing that every day.. love your blog!

Melanie said...

Congratulations and I think it's really amazing that you have built a life, completely different to anything back home, and are happy about it! Fantastic :) I can't wait to come back to Tokyo.

Christine loves to Travel said...

Wow, it's been 3 years!?!? Time does fly! What an amazing feeling, cheers to more!

thevoyageofv said...

Can it really be three years? I remember when we were emailing back and forth trying o figure out our next steps and Japan was just a hypothetical.

You did it, Vivian. I'm not surprised, but totally impressed, all the same.

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

Congrats, happy anniversary!!! I can't wait to get back to Japan :)

French Lover said...

I can't believe it's been 3 years!! Happy Anniversary darling <3

Vivian said...

The Only Blonde: Thank you!! Come back soon!!!

LH: Thank you- we both started out in Korea, wish we met back then! But I'm sure our paths will cross someday, and I'm flattered you still read me :)

Melanie: Cant wait to meet you when you move here!! Soon!!

Christine: Thank you so much and thanks always for your kind comments :)

V: Yes, seems like yesterday!! Thanks... we both did it!

Michelle: Thanks and please come back! I'm so pleased we got to meet!!!

French Lover: Thank you, and I love that you're in Canada ;)

nahide said...

Congrats on your 3 years of living in Japan Vivian :) I visited Japan for the first time this year and absolutely loved it. I cannot wait to go back! Whenever I need a Japan fix I visit your blog. Your posts are entertaining & refreshing, keep up the great work!

nahide said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I love the last line -- that's exactly how I feel.
Julie

Ring of Fire said...

I'm so glad that your time here as turned into 'real life' and that you still love it! I think that is what we should all try to do, fall in love with our real lives.