Thursday, October 4, 2012

October Evenings



Gorgeous nighttime Tokyo skyline,
I could stare at it forever


"I don't know when I became such a cautious person. Now whenever I wear my rain coat, I also put on my shades. You never know when it will rain or when it will turn out sunny". 
-Chungking Express


As I'm getting a bit more settled into my busy work routine, I am making more time at night to cook, run, and explore the city. The days are still very warm and sunny, but evenings quickly get chilly, and it keeps raining on and off. Hence I sport my rain boots almost daily, as I've ruined all of my shoes this season due to unexpected rain showers.

My new favourite area is Marunouchi, which is located between Tokyo station and the Imperial Palace. There is so much greenery, open spaces, posh shops and cafes: it offers a nice contrast to my usual Shibuya and Shinjuku territories. The path that goes around the Imperial Palace boasts a 5K loop, which is the perfect workout length. I wish I lived near the Imperial Palace, as I am currently craving lush trees and nature.

I'm also yearning for a change of pace and neighborhood maybe, so I'd like to move house. I'm not sure what it is with all the change lately, but my life is so different from a year ago when I first moved to Tokyo, which was a bit of a dizzying haze. I'm pleased with how I divide my time now, between lots of challenging assignments and quality time with my favourite people. Long gone are the party girl days, and honestly, it never really suited me. I'm much happier surrounded with an endless supply of books, cappuccino, streets to run in and sightsee, and friends.

"Be careful not to fly out of your bike"
I love this sign.

Halloween lights are up in my neighbourhood

I ate tsukemen つけめん.
You dip the noodles in the broth, hot or cold.

An endless carpeted hall



5 comments:

Sachiko Shiota said...

Hi, it's Sachiko from the Casual Japanese Bystander blog. Thanks for looking at my blog, and introducing me to yours! I like how your posts are fairly lengthy; there's a lot to read and learn. My goal when I first started my blog was to have something like what your blog is -- introducing everyday Japanese life and culture -- but the photos have taken on a bigger role over the years. Not disciplined enough as a writer I guess!

Unknown said...

Vivian- It sounds like you really enjoy your career as a freelance writer! How did you get involved with freelancing? It is a career path that I have been considering to pursue for a while.

-Sarah

Unknown said...

Vivian- It sounds like you really enjoy your career as a freelance writer! How did you get involved with freelancing? It is a career path that I have been considering to pursue for a while.

-Sarah

locohama said...

The skylines here in Yokohma are really awesome too. I love looking at Minato Mirai at night!

Vivian said...

You're right Loco- but I never stick long enough in Yokohama to see the night sky... I should!