Monday, September 17, 2012

I heart Kobe

Hello, you.

Life has been quite eventful lately, and even though summer is on its way out (but not quite), I got to take a small weekend trip to Kobe, one of my favorite cities in Japan. I used to visit Kobe regularly when I lived in Shikoku and Osaka, and I can easily say it's one of the most charming places in the world. After being devastated in 1995 by the Great Hanshin Earthquake, it was quickly reconstructed and it now looks sleek and modern. Luckily a few historical districts were spared, so the whole city is a perfect balance of modern and traditional.

I only keep amazing memories of Kobe: a rainy day trip with both Mikes when we first moved to Japan, a gin and tonic and cake-filled weekend with Isabel, a Chinese New Year in Chinatown, and a tour of of all the best cafes and shops with my friend Julie. This weekend followed suit, as Julie got married. Julie is the original queen blogger and one of the most amazing girls I've met in Japan. We hit it off as soon as we met, and despite living in different cities, we managed to keep a tight friendship.

Her wedding was one of the most beautiful I've seen, and she was a gorgeous bride. I don't tend to ever get too emotional at weddings, but hers was especially lovely and it was moving to see my friend so happy. Living abroad, I missed out on many of my friends' weddings and such events back home, so being able to be there meant the world to me.

I had a limited amount of time to spend in Kobe, but I wandered around the historical district of Kitano, which is filled with Victorian-style, foreign residences of the late Meiji era. Those houses are now home to exquisite cafes and boutiques, and the streets are lined with trees, with lush mountains in the backdrop. Kobe is so beautiful, part of me wishes I lived there.

I was happy to be able to go and see my friend get married, and I love little getaways to memory-filled places in Japan.

Trip essentials 

Shin-Kobe station

Gorgeous flower girls

Stunning bride

The most beautiful Starbucks in the world

Located in a historical house

This is NOT the Shimokitazawa Starbucks

I got myself omiyage: Kobe socks

2 comments:

mina said...

can't believe you're still in japan all these years later. i'm so envious. at least i can live vicariously.

so, alex was recruited by an advertising company and got a new job. we're thrilled, but it means that tokyo in october isn't going to happen. lament.

here's hoping for cherry blossom season.

any chance you'll be visiting montreal for xmas?

Unknown said...

AWW, you're the SWEETEST!!!
Thanks so much!
I can't wait to see you again, this time PROPERLY!

Much love!
Julie