Monday, August 27, 2012

End of Summer

This photo is everything summer.


And as the summer's ending....

Even though the scorching temperatures are here for at least another month and cicadas are singing louder than even, summer is officially over. Long gone days spent lying on the beach, train hopping across the country, iced lattes-sipping, lazy mornings in the sun.

I just love how despite scribbling down a detailed summer wish list, nothing went according to my plans. That's how life works, and usually it's for the best. Summer started a bit on an upsetting note, as going to Canada was out of the question for too many factors I had no control over, and that mood lingered for a few weeks, unable to snap out of it and questioning every little thing.

Yet, it completely turned around when I took a much-needed trip back to my other home, Shikoku, as getting back in touch with my roots, swimming in the dark sea and island hopping made my heart burst with happiness, killed the sour thoughts and enabled me to come home to Tokyo, and well, feel at home. Shikoku was the highlight of my summer, along with some random day trips to traditional areas of Tokyo and unexpected summer nights.

I also spent countless hours confined in my room, writing away and taking a breather from all the distractions. Maybe it all paid off in the end, my head is no longer cloudy, and I'm the happiest doing what I love, putting thoughts into words and aimlessly running around the Uehara area (my new favourite area for running). Perhaps I've found my stride here in Tokyo?

I must admit, I love when nothing goes according to the initial plan, makes things exciting.

... I've packed a change of clothes and it's time to move on.


(Make fun of me all you want for the end of summer quotes- find them and guess the song please).

9 comments:

Christine loves to Travel said...

"photobooth" by death cab for cutie!

I am so sad summer is ending. One more week and it's back to crazy work months.

Vivian said...

Great job!!! I love that song!!!

Thanks for the comments... and enjoy the last few days of summer! xx

snowfish1121 said...

I WISH summer would end already. I am soooo tired of feeling disgusting, exhausted, and angry 24/7. But who am I kidding... it never really cools down here til December... :(

David said...

I can kind of relate to this-- things not going according to plan. My permanent visa for Brazil is taking longer than I expected (due to strikes) so I have to leave the country. I am returning to Tokyo to wait things out, also to renew my Japanese visa. Not quite what I wanted, but I got my jobs back and I can save more money for my little house in Brazil. And Tokyo is my third home. Happy end of summer!

Kristina said...

enjoy the last summer days! here in australia we are eagerly awaiting spring and then a glorious summer!! can't wait :) i am also putting together a summer bucket list :)

Tesa said...

nice blog!

ohmyomiyage said...

Hi! I just found your blog, and I'm loving it :) This summer flew by, and I didn't hit anything on my list either! It's funny how I've been hiding out from the Tokyo heat all summer, but now that it's coming to an end, I'm getting nostalgic.

Shou said...

Wow I just stumbled over your blog and I'm amazed! My fav movie is "LOst in Translation" too, I also love the books of Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer^^ There are only few ppl who appreciate Mark twain's works^^
And you live in Japan and your blog is about Japan, to make it short: You have a new follower and admirer XDD

Shou said...

well, rejoiced too soon. I don't have bloglovin' and it seems I cannot follow you in the regular blogger-way? oo; But however, I will continue reading your blog^^