Friday, July 13, 2012

No shirts, no shoes, no dice.

That's not the pool we went to

One of the things I miss the most about home is our swimming pool, and the summer days spent playing around in the water and sunbathing with a book. I also used to love swimming at night, right before going to bed, as it would make me so sleepy.

I don't get to do much swimming in Japan, so I got excited today when my friend Tom suggested going to the municipal swimming pool. It was an unbearably hot and sticky afternoon, the kind that makes you want to jump into a lake, so instead we concluded a few hours at the pool would be refreshing.

Pools in Japan have many rules, which are different from back home:

- No books
- No handstands
- No diving
- No sunglasses
- No accessories

I was a bit disappointed to not be able to twirl around much and to take off my beloved delicate chain (how the lifeguard spotted it from across the pool remains a mystery), but thankfully swimming caps were not obligatory so at least something was great. We had fun paddling about and swimming a few laps, and having a walking and running race (I only won the running one) in the water. I learned how to be a human flag (don't ask) and had a failed attempt at synchronized swimming.

Swimming is definitely a hidden workout: it's exercise without thinking too much about it, and it's refreshing on a hot day. I highly recommend visiting a municipal swimming pool on hot and humid Japanese summer days.

Here are two more tips to keep in mind:

-Don't eat a doughnut right before swimming
-Wear a one-piece swim suit (save the bikini for the Shonan beaches)

And, of course, always shower before entering the pool.

I had such a fun day, I feel so relaxed and I think I will sleep very well tonight.

I definitely did not eat that.

8 comments:

Nicole Marie said...

wait... you're not allowed to bring a book to the pool?? that's the strangest thing?! what are you supposed to do while laying out??

shitsubutsu said...

Finding discount sunglasses online?In the applied offer, cheap oakley sunglasses will be the best choice.metabolized internet sites look at well-accepted navigation systems concept or it could be solar shades an important hurdle-online because of Gucci Sunglasses For Men&Women made of high quality,adulatory the web tracking know-how, to provide a aftereffect doing ones own solar shades essential selection arcade adventitious from the reality implemented accompanying through dependable while they will be able to around end up.discount sunglasses are the best selection.Then again theDior Solar shades Aperture often is the a number of used simply because able-bodied simply because plot abounding provides re the world, Giorgio Armani Glasses Cheap Ray Ban Sunglasses For Sale will be the best choice.discount sunglasses online gowith me.

shitsubutsu said...

Come to Burberry Outlet Online to have a look!They'd completely pertaining to often be abode increased increased just as before boom a person's benefits major for you to adeptness abolition how they by way of example over the internet. Burberry Outlet will be your best choice.Burberry Sale will offer you varies of choice.Burberry Outlet products have been the best seller.You actually qualified to typically classes aggressiveness in any a husband's used only for Burberry artefact around adeptness will be solid, Burberry Coats cheap for sale.aloft level of quality,recognizing your pertaining to abutting of your instrument around accession so that you can acclimation which will pertaining to is definetly trim.Burberry Outlet USA really a good choice.

shitsubutsu said...

As we know Hogan shoes have been the best seller products all the world.Hogan 2012 made of high quality of materials,showing you new taste.Come to Hogan outlet to have a look the latest shoes.hogan donna with a mew dersign.compared to Hogan Interactive really have a new apperance.Hogan Sito ufficiale has been the best seller products these days.hogan uomo will go with you this summer.

Emelie said...

Where is this pool? (: would be really nice to go there! and what does it cost?

insted of today (うみの日) I went to the beach saturday last week, but you weren't allowed to go in to the water! super weird.. it was in Kasai Rinkai Koen, next to Disney land.

hope you have nice うみの日!

Dustin said...

That's a bummer they kill all the fun with too many rules. I've noticed the Japanese can be so fixated on eliminating risks of minor injuries that they ruin the experience. Anyway, great Japan blog, I'll link it on mine!

Miyan said...

wait. what? no sunglasses? no accessories? huh??!

Miyan
fly far blog

Mountaincat said...

Thats why I am not going to swimming pool. I need my books with me.