Friday, June 8, 2012

Rainy Season + Omiyage

Rain in Shibuya

June marks the start of rainy season in Japan, which will last for the entire month. It actually has been warm and sunny this past week, but gloomy, grey days are ahead for the rest of the month. I'm personally not too bothered, as I find rain soothing and I like to wear rain boots and splash around. It's also the time of the year when the air is refreshing and crisp after rainfalls, a prelude to the hot and sticky summer that will immediately follow.

How do I survive rainy season? Books, museums, writing, and more writing. Tokyo is absolutely wonderful under the rain, especially at night with the neon lights reflecting.

In other news, I've been devouring the best omiyage (souvenirs friends bring from a trip) I've ever had: a cripsy, walnut cream filled wafer from Kamakura, and a cracker topped with a buttery green tea frosting, from Kyoto.



From Kamakura,
thanks to some fabulous coworkers

From Kyoto,
thanks to my lovely friend Mayo

Have I been in Japan too long, when I start being an omiyage aficionado?

2 comments:

The Only Blonde in Osaka said...

I love that picture of all the umbrellas in Shibuya, it looks so surreal!

fshvenice said...

Very intersting!
Visit my blog, become one of my members!!
http://www.fashionvenice.com/2012/05/palazzo-ducale_21.html
Fashionvenice.com