Saturday, June 2, 2012

Big Beach Festival 2012


Makuhari Beach, Chiba

Yesterday I was sent on a surprise assignment to Big Beach Festival, which is an annual event located in Chiba prefecture, about an hour away from Tokyo. As the name states, the festival took place right on the beach, and it featured British act The Chemical Brothers, along with a string of DJs on different stages scattered around the beach.

The surprisingly sunny afternoon (it's rainy season after all) was spent mingling and sipping on cocktails by the water, listening to the DJ sets, dancing, and spending some time backstage with some very generous sponsors. In my previous summers in Japan I never had the chance to go to the beach much, but this year I've already been quite a few times, and I think it's an essential part of summer fun.

The event ended quite early, at sunset, with the festival headliners. I had seen The Chemical Brothers back in Korea a few years ago, but this time around they played a really high-energy DJ set, and they had everyone in the crowd dancing.

I had such a fun day, which was completely unexpected as I had not planned to go, neither did I know anyone there beforehand, but it turned out to be such a blast, and another amazing summer memory.

Sunning, beaching, dancing and sipping on cocktails is how I want to spend my summer, please.

"Working"
Crowded beach

Beach + Music = deadly good

A centaur and a happy journalist

Grassy beach much

Gyaru like the beach

The Chemical Brothers
Don't count on me to take great shots in my hazy state


Read my official Big Beach report for the best in this side of the world, Tokyo Weekender! 


1 comment:

Jacqueline said...

Hi Vivian, I just found your blog. It's great and I love it. I will definitely refer to it when I visit Japan someday. You're lifestyle and adventures are very inspiring. I hope to keep up with your blog (love your cultural insights)...you are great at posting! Keep the good times rollin'!
Bye!~

-Jacqueline