Thursday, May 3, 2012

Tokyo Events: Beat Takeshi Kitano



A rainy day in Tokyo is never boring, and today I headed out to the beautiful Tokyo Opera City Art Gallery to catch "Gosse de peintre: Beat Takeshi Kitano", the latest exhibit by famed Japanese artist Takeshi Kitano.

Takeshi Kitano is a comedian, actor, filmmaker, screenwriter, and author. His pieces of work are not only brilliant, but hilarious- I don't think I have ever laughed that much at an art gallery. Kitano's goal is to entertain, and he even warned people to not try too hard to understand it, as it doesn't always make sense.

My favourite pieces were a giant T-Rex that was coloured by a paint-ball gun, as well as a massive fish, opened up to present pieces of sushi. I also enjoyed scribbling my own art on a postcard, while listening to some music, as part of the exhibit.

I highly recommend heading out to his exhibition, as it's one of the best things I have seen in a long time. And, most of it is in French, as it originally opened in Paris two years ago, which made me happy. I even got to ride the bus from Shibuya, and if you know me well enough, you know that the train or bus rides get me maybe even more excited than the actual activity.

"Gosse de peintre: Beat Takeshi Kitano"
(until September 2nd, click on the link above for more information)

1 comment:

Tabby O said...

This looks really cool. I'm in Tokyo for the next week, can you recommend some more art galleries/art shows to visit? Thanks!!

http://tabbydoestokyo.blogspot.jp/