Sunday, May 27, 2012

I heart HK

I adore Hong Kong.

Lost in Hong Kong.
My view from the swanky hotel room. 

I'm back from Hong Kong, and it was a complete dreamland: the food, the sights, the shopping, and especially the energy. I loved everything about it. Hong Kong is vibrant, colourful, boisterous, laid-back, lively, and it filled me up with happiness. It was hot, muggy and humid, crowded with people and skyscrapers, and I enjoyed every second of it.

It was great to catch up with my sister in such a different place in the world, and I really had missed being around family- who else will pick up on all my little quirks, whether they're shopping or food-related (I seemed to perk up every time we passed a cookie stand).

I ate lots of delicious fare and have a newfound appreciation of Chinese cuisine, I swam and sunbathed on the rooftop pool, shamelessly shopped all day and until late at night, admired the gorgeous skyline from across the harbour and from The Peak, and finally fulfilled my Chungking Express daydream. Hong Kong is every bit like the movie, in its animation and liveliness, and it reminded me of why I came to this side of the world in the first place.

It was a much-needed break from Japan, and it only made me appreciate the little things I love here and that I sometimes take for granted: the kindness and politeness of Japanese people, the customer service, and attention to detail. Yet, being in Hong Kong was bittersweet: it gave me a fresh perspective on my Tokyo world and a heavy dose of reality checks, which is always welcome but a bit disconcerting.

I'll post about Hong Kong foods, sights and shopping in upcoming posts, as there is much, much goodness to tackle... I soaked it all in and I'm impatient to share.

A huge thank you to the 9/11s for the great posts, which I truly loved- in fact, I am officially asking them to be regular contributors, as their funny tidbits really spiced things up and I have a bag full of thank-you presents for them.

Hong Kong, I want to see you again.

3 comments:

LH said...

Well worded about HK! It truly is a magical place. It's the only place I visited twice during my time over there and even explored working & living there. Can't wait to read more about your adventures there :)

Kristina said...

Happy to hear you had such a great time! Looking forward to hear and see everything about it! xx

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

I would love to go there someday!