Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tokyo Events: Tokyu Plaza Omotesando

Chocolate mini cupcake. I think I ate more than three.

In the past few years, a few popular clothing chains have had shops popping up in Japan: H&M, Top Shop, Forever 21, Abercrombie & Fitch, and now American Eagle Outfitters.

Last night I attended the opening event of the American Eagle shop, located in the new entertainment complex aptly named "Tokyu Plaza Omotesando", which has a prime location on the corner of Omotesando and Meiji Dori, the busiest intersection in Harajuku.

Although the brand is not very much my style, I merrily attend any parties I receive invitations for, as they're usually fun (read: champagne) and reflect the brand's image. American Eagle is very relaxed and presents lots of colourful beach wear, casual tee-shirts and preppy polos, and a surprisingly nice collection of swim suits and other beach accessories. I imagine it will be quite popular with the young Japanese crowd, as the prices are so affordable- which is rarely the case with imported brands.

True to its playful image, the party featured fun finger foods, such as guacamole and tortilla crisps, chicken kebabs, mini cupcakes (raspberry, pistachio, and chocolate-flavoured), California rolls (avocado and salmon), accompanied by cans of Corona beer and glasses of white wine, as well as mini bottles of water and cola.

Those events are great for mingling with other people who work in the media field, and to get a closer look at collections before the shop officially opens. I do love the eating and drinking part a lot more than most people I'm sure, but I bet all journalists secretly attend those events for the same reasons.

It was quite a pleasant night, despite my leather shorts clashing with the brand and toting around a clutch bag: it made it impossible for me to juggle a) my clutch b) the glass of wine c) the foods d) the goodie bag e) the information packet. I hope my coworker doesn't mention my little wine spill incident back at the magazine, as it wouldn't sound too glamourous.


Tokyu Plaza Omotesando, go check it out!

Khakis and jeans

Polos in punchy colours
Bikinis and accessories

That's more my scene

My favourite part of the evening

The guacamole was so tasty
The swag: beach tote and umbrella

1 comment:

みしろゆりえ said...

Wow you were there! How cool :-)
There will be new shopping malls in Shibuya and Odaiba soon, and I am so looking forward to shopping there.