Monday, April 9, 2012

The 9/11s took me to...


Keeping it classy.

It's a well-known fact amongst my friends that I tend to get a bit picky when we choose a place to eat. Even though I truly enjoy drinking cheap canned cocktails outside convenience stores and feasting on rice balls, I do like to frequent nice cafés and try high quality foods when I'm out. I'm always on the lookout for Tokyo's best-kept secrets, and I like featuring my discoveries on my blog.

My friends Tom and Gordon from the 9/11s invited me for a night out, with promises of Italian fare and a spectacular view of Tokyo's skyline. In an effort to gentrify me (and my blog), they thought I should be open to trying slightly different spots than my usual stomping grounds, and assured me it would be "highly blog-able", despite it not being on Omotesando.

On a chilly spring evening, a group of us (including Fashimi, back in Tokyo, yes!) headed to the bright lights of Shinjuku, where we escalated all the way up to the 29th floor of a beautifully designed building. We even got to cross a sky tunnel, which indeed offered one of the best views I've had of the city.

I was a little skeptical at the restaurant's cozy decor and flashy menu, but the view from our (non) window seat made it all worth it. I've once stated, "I don't do buffets', but the 9/11s insisted it was not a buffet. We picked a package named "Let's Party", which featured an all-you-can-eat AND drink deal for the mere sum of ¥2500.

They promised me it would remain classy, and it did for the most part. We (over) indulged on a few different kinds of thin-crusted pizzas (my favourite was the four-cheese kind) and salads, and I finally relaxed a little bit after a few yuzu-flavoured "Rickey's", the restaurant's signature cocktail.

Eventually, all the consumed Rickey's and draft beers led to a less upscale little drinking game, and by the end of the evening, no one could remember what really had happened in the sky tunnel, and someone had to consume all the remaining drinks mixed all together.

It was one of the most delightful evenings I've had in a long time, and in such great company- I think I needed that lately, and it made me appreciate other types of establishments than those I usually visit . I'll definitely let the 9/11s take me to another one of their haunts, especially if it has a fancy sounding Italian name such as "La Pausa".

(I highly recommend this place for the view, the cheap food and drinks, and the decent quality of everything. Run to the Shinjuku branch before it gets shut down!)

The infamous sky tunnel leading to La Pausa

I strongly suggest the "Let's Party" deal

Gordon also drank the Rickey.

La Pausa's signature cocktail, in an array of flavours

Someone ordered mustard and ketchup

La Pausa even has its own newsletter, which we took turns reading

Yuzu Rickey, the best kind

A cat appeared after too many drinks

Things started to get downhill

Tokyo skyline view- it was almost romantic

1 comment:

Judith said...

I'm a little wary of all you can eat italian places here after being taken to Shakey's. It's everything you think a Japanese Italian all you can eat buffet is.