Thursday, March 22, 2012

Soy Milk in Japan

I like soy milk

Soy milk is a traditional staple of Japanese cuisine, unlike back home, where soy milk is mostly found in the health food section and not always readily available.

I love soy milk. I somehow stopped drinking regular milk since I arrived in Japan, for various reasons. Maybe I just don't like the taste so much anymore, and instead I've been hooked on soy milk. It contains about the same proportion of protein as cow's milk, but I find it more filling and healthier.

I was excited to see a wide assortment of soy milk flavours at the supermarket: banana, strawberry, almond, vanilla, chocolate, coffee, and even a citrus-based one. I usually only drink the unsweetened kind, but sometimes I feel a little wild and experiment with the plethora of flavours offered.

When I first moved to Japan sometimes I could not recognize the kanji for "soybean", but if you can remember this kanji, you can easily find soy milk and soy-based products: 豆. It means "bean", and it's pronounced mame.

You can also ask for soy milk at cafés, the Japanese word is tounyuu and the kanji for soy milk is 
豆乳.

One of my favourite snacks is a soy milk box, especially when I'm in a hurry in the morning.

I'm wondering if something is wrong when I get that excited about soy milk and devote an entire entry to it. I like to be informative about what's going on here in Japan, it's not all about parties, shoes, and photo booth!

3 comments:

Leah said...

Japan has the best boxed beverages. I dearly miss cafe au laits from vending machines.

MarMar said...

I am so glad I found your blog! I recently just moved to Japan (Osaka), and the first day I went to the grocery store I just stared at the milk section for like 20min trying to figure out if any of it was soy milk x.x. I happened to see this brand in my store the other day, so hooray! I can have cereal again :D

Patricia Klammers-Castillo said...

Hello ..
Do you Think Japanese soya milk is free of pesticides ??