Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Shimokitazawa Spring

This week is Fashion Week in Tokyo (more on that later), and I've been having lots of free time between hopping to different events and not having to work much at all. I was able to just wander aimlessly around my local area, something I haven't been able to do in ages, probably since I first moved here last summer.

I ambled around Setagaya, Meguro, and Shibuya. Those wards are so close to one another, the boundaries are sometimes blurred and I like living in such a central location. I still love my house so much and appreciate having housemates, as those five-minute kitchen chats make all the difference.

Even though the weather is still crisp, spring has definitely arrived and the streets are beautiful and colourful. One of my favourite things about Tokyo is that the city is filled with little, tucked-in neighbourhoods and hilly streets that seem worlds away from the crowded madness of hubs such as Shibuya and Shinjuku.

Here are some things I saw.


A cat and dog accessory shop, and my new motto.

I could not resist a curry pan from Jinnan,
and my 2-hour walk made me feel less guilty

I wonder how early it is acceptable to drink.

The Japan Folk Crafts Museum, in Meguro
(I wanted to go in, but the entrance fee was a tad steep)

Plum blossoms

An orange tree. We'd never have that in Canada!
Makes me feel all exotic.

More orange trees and quaint homes in Shimo

Street flowers
I feel very twee lately, which is unusual for me. Must be the arrival of spring, and listening to The Smiths so much.

No comments: