Monday, March 19, 2012

Reading Postcards

This postcard features the name of my local train station

The Japan Post has the most adorable selection of postcards. My favourite one is in the shape of a red Japanese post box, and features the name of the local post office in which you purchased it. They also have limited edition variations, for each season, or prefecture's famous food. This one is for my mom, and Isabel will also receive a special one which I cannot show just yet because it's a surprise.

I think those postcards are a fun, thoughtful way to keep in touch with friends and family. I much prefer regular letters to emails, but I don't always have the time and patience for handwritten correspondence. Therefore, postcards offer a nice alternative.

I'm a little homesick for something lately, I'm not sure what- a little bit of home (Montreal), but a little bit of my days in the Shikoku countryside. I absolutely love Tokyo and don't think I would ever be able to live in the rice fields again, but on some days I get horrible pangs of nostalgia. Maybe because life was so simple there (albeit boring at times) and I could just hop on my bicycle and ride around the fields and hear the frogs and watch the big turtles in the castle moat. I hope to visit soon to get my fix.

In other news, I will visit Hong Kong with my sister in late May, I'm ecstatic to go there and have been dreaming about it since Chungking Express, please give me any recommendations you might have!

3 comments:

Flora Moreno de Thompson said...

Hong Kong is my favorite place in all of Asia. The first thing I do is eat an egg tart from the Tai Cheong Bakery on Lyndhurst Terrace. Okay, I eat two.

There are lots of great shops to be found around Central and of course, lots of great eateries.

Vivian said...

Thank you so much!!! I will visit those for sure... already dreaming of the egg tart!!! xx

I miss Macau said...

You want some tips about Hong Kong? Visit my blog! = )