Friday, March 16, 2012

Ballet in Japan


I was a ballerina growing up and dancing always held an important part of my life. A few weeks ago, I had the chance to meet renowned choreographer and artistic director of the National Ballet of Japan, David Bintley, and sit down with him for an exclusive interview for Tokyo Weekender. I felt very honoured to meet him, as he is quite famous and respected in the ballet world.

To be fair, I had never been that nervous to conduct an interview, but he was so amazing, kind, talkative and funny. I asked him several questions about Japan and cultural differences, and how Japanese art influenced his work.

Following the interview, I was treated to the Tokyo Ballet's latest recital, Roland Petit's La Chauve-Souris, a very chic and very French production. I also feasted on profiteroles, mousse au chocolat, and pink sparkling wine in between acts. Such a delightful evening.

I'm very thankful to the staff at the Tokyo Ballet who welcomed me so warmly, and to Mr Bintley for making me feel so at ease. Read the interview here.

No comments: