Thursday, February 9, 2012

Valentines Day in Japan

Me, pondering.

I cannot remember the last time I actually did something to celebrate Valentine's Day, but apparently I am suitable to write about it.

When Tokyo Weekender asked to write a piece about Valentine's Day, I had a moment of panic- what do I know about love, let alone dating? Would I have to share personal stories? Gasp! And I didn't want to write about tacky or cliché ways to celebrate this holiday, as it's definitely out of my element.

After some thought, I came up with a list of fun, tasteful and different ideas for things to do on Valentines Day, with a significant other, friends, or even by yourself. I stayed true to my style, as I'd actually want to do all those things I've mentioned.

You can read it here!

My ideal evening would be a visit to the zoo combined with a flask of something strong to keep warm.

PS- In Japan, on Valentine's Day, girls give chocolate to boys. Boys reciprocate a month later, on White Day. After two years in Japan, I still haven't participated in this tradition, but I'm tempted to, solely as a cultural experiment. Wish me luck.


2 comments:

Susie said...

There some good suggestions :D I'm not a fan of cheesy valentines stuff either! The last 3 years in England my boyfriend and I have made it a tradition to make sushi on valentines day (combining two of your ideas :D), but we're not sure what to do this year in Japan...make sushi, go out for sushi, or reverse the tradition and make English food!

susiesomewhere.blogspot.com

thevoyageofv said...

Love getting to read your work elsewhere!