Saturday, February 18, 2012

Omotesando Koffee

No, it's not a typo, but the name of (perhaps?) the best coffee in Tokyo, or the world for that matter. Omotesando Koffee is a tiny little coffee shop located in a house, tucked into the hilly back streets of Harajuku- good luck trying to find it.

I had the chance to be introduced to that heavenly spot a few weeks ago, on a cold Sunday morning. The exterior of the shop is simply an old, traditional Japanese house and garden, and inside hides a sleek, minimalist interior. The staff who served us was warm, friendly, and chatty- to me, that part is quite important as part of my quality criteria. The menu is simple, and the espresso is outstanding. Absolute perfection in every cup, the right amount of bitterness and frothy texture. One of the sweetest parts about the shop is that you can accompany your java with a little baked custard bite, which is the ideal companion to coffee.

I have no idea if I can ever find the shop again, maybe I dreamt about it, but it's somewhere out there, beyond Omotesando avenue and all my dreams involving espresso beans.






Find it. It's seriously one of Tokyo's best kept secrets.

(Of course I dropped a pin. I'm going back.)

4 comments:

French Lover said...

Omotesando Hills is one of my absolute favorite neighborhoods in Tokyo. I remember having an amazing pancake feast in a tiny coffee shop set up in a studio apartment. So cute and perfect.

kishechkakisa said...

thanks it was so interesting to reed about coffe. And romantic

Judith said...

Is it better than the Bear coffee you posted about??? Because I was going to try to find it....but now I may be hunting for this one :)!

Vivian said...

Judith- hard to say. I did declare, at omotesando koffee, that it was better than Bear Pond. Mostly because the staff was so friendly- BP can be stressful at times. You should go to both! Let me know if you hit BP in Shimokitazawa, I live next to it!!